ModernGhana logo
03.08.2003 League Report

Kinapharma Premier League Results/Reports

Kinapharma Premier League Results/Reports
Listen to article

Kumasi Kotoko 2-1 Power Berekum Arsenals 1-0 Bofoakwa Kpando Lions 0-3 Hearts Accra Olympics 3-1 RTU Sunyani B.A. United 0-0 Faisal Koforidua Stay Cool 0-2 Goldfield Prestea Minestars 1-0 Liberty Accra (Sat.) Okwahu 3-1 Hasaacas Charles Taylor Helps Kotoko To narrow Victory An 80th minute move initiated by newly-signed on Charles Taylor enabled Aziz Ansah to power Kumasi Asante Kotoko to 2-1 win over Power FC in their Kinapharma premier league match played at the Kumasi Sports stadium. Charles Taylor who replaced Kwaku Duah in the 53rd minute brought life into the game as he hit the post in the 70th minute in a goalmouth melee. Kotoko, who of late are not playing to the satisfaction of their supporters, kicked off and nearly had the opener in the first minute but Kwaku Duah shot wide from Michael Osei's in-swinger. Undaunted by this threat, Power organised themselves and took control of the game and had two free kicks in the seventh and the 12th minutes just around the vital area of Kotoko but wasted them. In the 18th minute, Joseph Osei of Power headed away a goal bound shot from Yusif Chibsah when goalkeeper Abubakari Suleimana was completely beaten. However, Kotoko continued to pile on pressure and found the opener in the 25th minute through Shilla Alhassan whose shot sailed straight into the net. Power who played a determined game equalised in the 41st minute through Alex Awuah whose header hit the cross bar and floated into the net. Both sides on resumption made some changes but it was still Kotoko who had the upper hand and pinned the visitors into their own half and it was no wonder that they had the match winner in the 80th minute through Aziz Ansah. Hearts tame the Lions Kpando, Aug. 3, GNA- Accra Hearts of Oak on Sunday tamed Kpando Hearts of Lion thrashing them 3-0 in their 11th week Kinarpharma League encounter at the Kpando sports stadium, the " den" of Lions. The first goal of the match came in the 51st minute after an uneventful first half when Wisdom Abbey had a pass from Lawrence Adjei and raced with it to score. The second goal was by Lawrence Adjei in a goal mouth melee in the 54th minute when the Lions goalkeeper came out of the posts. The third came in the 83 minute, when Adjah Tetteh received a pass from Kenneth Sarpong on the right flank and dropped the ball in the net with a splendid pile driver. The last seven minutes of the game became a ding dong affair but it was Hearts who made a few attempts in front of their opponents goal area to add more goals which never came again. After the match supporters of Hearts of Oak went on to the streets of Kpando dancing while supporters of the home team were found missing on the streets. The match was watched by a large crowd with some coming all the way from Kumasi and the surrounding towns as well as those from Accra. In attendance were Mr Rashid Bawa, Minister of State for Education Youth and Sports, Miss Akua Dansua, Member of Parliament (MP) for North-Dayi and Togbe Dagadu the VII, Paramount Chief of the Akpini Traditional Area. Oly 3 RTU 1 In Accra, Great Olympics were in a goal harvest mauling visiting Real Tamale United (RTU) 3-1 in their match at the Accra Sports Stadium. The Dade boys scored once in the first half and banged in two more after the recess before a sparse crowd. But the score line was deceptive as the visitors matched the homesters boot for boot. David Offei opened the floodgate in the 18th minute connecting Paa Joe Kumah's pile driver across the face of the post. Ten minutes after recess, RTU's Torfik Alolo completed a three-man move to bring the two sides at par. Tall Waah Alhassan former student of Bolga Technical Institute intercepted a through ball, laid on a pass for Abass Iddrisu who beautifully back heeled it for Alolo to blast into the net. Unfortunately, six minutes after the equalizer, RTU conceded a spot kick, which was converted by Paa Joe Kumah for Oly's second goal. Galvanized by the second goal, Oly dominated proceedings and it came as no surprise at all when that they banged in the third. Andy Pomeyie completed the demolishing exercise in the 68th minute when he controlled a volley with his chest before tapping it into the net. He was on hand again in the 82nd minute but it was ruled off side. At Prestea Mine Stars beat Liberty Professionals by a lone goal. Prince Yeboah was lone goal hero. BA United Hold Faisal Angry supporters of Brong Ahafo United rushed to pummel referee Samuel Kwarteng of Koforidua and his assistants, Anthony Tetteh Opai and Sarpong Okuampah soon after the end of the club's match with King Faisal at the Sunyani Coronation Park, but the timely intervention of police and few military personnel saved them. The match itself ended goalless. Visiting King Faisal played a well-determined game to split the points with the Sunyani boys in the hectic tension-packed match. King Faisal played with 10 players for the greater part of the second half after their top-striker Kwadwo Opoku was shown the red card for rough play in the 50th minute but that mishap did not disturb them in the least as they dictated the pace of the game from thence. The game itself started on a fast pace with the United boys a shade ahead of the visitors in attack but wasted all the chances that came their way. King Faisal boys warmed themselves into the game and nearly took the leader in the 19th minute but with only goalkeeper Lovelace Neequaye to beat Abubakari Yahuza shot off target. Barely two minutes after Faisal's miss Kwadwo Boateng of United also missed the posts with a header. The game progressed but both sides were guilty of missing goal chances. The first yellow card was shown to Kwabena Opoku of Faisal in the 43rd minute for rough play. Both teams threw caution to the wind after this and started to play it hard on resumption and referee Kwarteng, who surprisingly ignored bookable offences in the first half flashed the red card at Faisal's Kwadwo Opoku barely five minutes into the second half. The referee in an apparent move to stamp his authority on the game followed it up with two quick yellow cards against Daniel Quao and Usman Sakora of United in the 52nd and 55th minutes respectively. Sumaila A. Yahaya of Faisal was also shown the yellow card in the 65th minute. United made a substitution in the 68th minute, bringing in Yaw Frimpong for captain Nana Frimpong who was a pale shadow of himself, while King Faisal brought in Ben Owusu for Yahaya in the 70th minute. Captain Godwin Ablordey of Faisal also gave way for Sampson Thompson in the 72nd minute shortly after failing to capitalize on a good pass to score a goal as he suddenly pulled a muscle and fell down. He was later stretched off. King Faisal thereafter remained resolute and repulsed all attacks from United as they packed their midfield in a strategy to guard against any penalty till the final whistle.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter