10 Ways The Church Can Transform The African Narrative
1. Do not separate spirituality from personal responsibility. In other words, present a balanced gospel to the people. Every belief system that makes God absolutely responsible for their fortunes is irresponsible and reckless.
"Buy the truth and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction and knowledge." Proverbs 23:23
"And You shall know the truth And the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
2. Engage and leverage the agency of love as a soft power to influence the dominant actions (encourage good practises but curb the inhibiting and retrogressive ones) of society. The church is not only a proxy of heaven. It is also an agency equipped by God to build people and to transform lives.
"Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is Love. 1 Corinthians 13:8
3. Shift focus from erecting humongous 100,000 seater auditoriums and instead invest in human capital development programmes like S.T.E.M and financial intelligence.
Why? As predicted in Judges 2:10, there would always arise a godless generation that would be less inclined to go to church. Look at Europe for example.
"However, the Most High God does not live in houses made by men. As the prophets says: Heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool. What kind of house will you build for me?" Says the Lord. Acts 7:48-49
"After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up that knew neither the Lord nor what he had done for Israel. Judges 2:10
4. Building a strong and formidable partnership with research institutions at home and on the continent through active funding and co-operation. The Bible endorses research. Jesus taught about in the synoptic gospels.
"Ask and it shall be given you; Seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto thee. For whosoever asks, receives, whosoever seeks finds and whosoever knocks the door shall be opened unto them." Matthew 7:7-8
5. Develop a strong investment culture, portfolio and footprint at home and on the continent through the creation of a sovereign wealth fund of sorts ( call it a church wealth fund if you like) that would be tasked to support capital projects across the continent. Jesus taught about the importance of leveraging the agencies of investment and godly stewardship. This is one way of operationalizing it.
"Now it is required that those who have given a trust (steward) must prove faithful." 1 Corinthians 4:2
6. Build and operationalize a fully functional for profit special vehicle agency tasked with the responsibility of promoting the commercial interests of the Church.
"The plan seemed good to Pharaoh and to all his officials. Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace and all my people are to submit to your orders." Genesis 41:37-40
7. Assuming every church in Africa (and they are over 100,000) decides as a matter of church policy to cultivate at least 10 acres of agricultural land!!! Hmm. You do the math!
"For I went past the field of the sluggers, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stone wall was in ruins. I applied my heart to what I observed and I learned a lesson from what I saw; a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding up of the hands to rest and poverty will come upon you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man." Proverbs 24:30-33
8. Encourage and fully support church members to go into active politics starting from the local level. The church cannot afford not to have a representation and a voice at the seat where policies are formulated and executed.
"For lack of guidance a nation fails, but many advisers make victory sure." Proverbs 11:14
9. Build a network of cooperatives and other well crafted and well thought out mutual assistance programmes that would benefit its members and the host communities at large.
"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12
10. Identify, profile and leverage the individual talent, skills set, gifts and competencies of members of the church to build and to promote wealth for all.
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise." Proverbs 6:6
If we proud ourselves as the salt of the earth and the city on the hill that cannot be hidden thenthe church in Africa must begin to lead the continent into real independence by empowering its audience with granules of liberating truth taught from the scriptures.
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."