1. Christianity focuses on making disciples. Churchianity, on the other hand, is preoccupied with church membership i.e. the Megachurch culture
"My dear children for whom I prevail in prayer that Christ may be formed in you." Galatians 4:19
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter it. But small is the is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14
2. Christianity focuses on building and moulding the individual to become a functional member of society. Churchianity on the other hand invests resources in building projects like auditoriums and temples.
"Jesus declared, Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you would worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth for they are the kind of worshippers the Father seeks." John 4:21,23
3. Christianity exists to challenge the status quo. Churchianity, on the other hand, embraces, supports, and actively supports the status quo so long as there is something to gain from it.
"....they rushed to Jason's house in search of Paul and Silas in order to bring them out to the crowd. But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some other brothers before the city officials, shouting: These men who have turned their world upside down have now come here." Acts 17:5b-6
4. In Christianity, Christ is the object of our worship and affection. In Churchianity on the other hand, it is the clergy that are objects of worship and affection. In other words, a loyalty which is reserved for God has been indirectly usurped by the clergy.
"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life." John 3:14
5. One of the fundamental building blocks of Christianity is service to God and service to mankind. Churchianity, on the other hand, promotes the culture of self-indulgence.
"For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves." Luke 22:27
6. In Christianity, the individual is the temple in which God dwells. In Churchianity, on the other hand, the auditorium built with human hands is where God dwells.
"Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your iwn; you were bought with a price. Therefore honour God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
7. Christianity exudes love. Love is selfless. Churchianity on the other hand exudes pride. Pride is selfish.
"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
8. Christianity promotes justification through faith in the finished work of Christ. Churchianity promotes justification by works e.g. living a holy life, good works etc.
"For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law." Romans 3:28
"Therefore since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ through whom we have gained access by faith into this Grace in which now we stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:1
9. In Christianity there is no stratification i.e. there is neither slave nor free, rich or poor, Jew or Greek, circumcised or uncircumcised. Whereas Churchianity supports and promotes a stratified system based on one's status and position in life.
"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, , male or female, you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:26-28
10. Whereas Christianity teaches about gaining through suffering and tribulation i.e. denying yourself, taking up your cross, and following Jesus, Churchianity preaches a gospel of material blessings, wealth, happiness, and bliss.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33; Matthew 16:24-26
Christianity is not the same as Churchianity. Any belief system within the church system that seeks to undermine what Christ stands for must be exposed.
"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation We share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. For certain men (false doctrines) whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." Jude 3-4
Be inspired. PKP