body-container-line-1

Comedy in Ghana Law School

Feature Article Comedy in Ghana Law School
OCT 28, 2021 LISTEN

“Restrictions to the School are narrower than passing through the eye of a needle… If a student scores 40 % in Section A and 24% in Section B, the total mark of 64% is a bastard score unfit for any meaningful consideration because he did not score 25% in section!”

The Ghana Law School has been ruffled by remonstrations of some 499 students who were denied admission to the School on grounds of some odd technicalities and rickety grading procedures that defy the law of common sense, logic and objectivity.

This is not the first time the School has come under public microscope for its unpopular approach to teaching the law in this country. The School’s very preposterous policy of strangulating admissions as a deliberate policy for regimenting professional practice is old school and completely laughable. It is a strange doctrine in excessive conservatism and comical roleplay!

Listening to the lamentations and the frustrations of the 499 students unjustifiably denied admission by the School this year after they scored in excess of 50% in most cases, is heart rending. And yet, some of these students were writing the exams for the umpteenth time, with all the cost and mental health implications!

Restrictions to the School are narrower than passing through the eye of a needle. By the doctrine of the Ghana Law School, scoring 50% in the entrance exam is illegitimate unless the student scores 25% each from section A and B. If a student scores 40 % in Section A and 24% in Section B, the total mark of 64% is a bastard score unfit for any meaningful consideration because he did not score 25% in section B! As scary and chilling as the logic is, I have heard the students say that no such information was communicated to them prior to the examination.

By the way, what is the evidence that students who obtain 25% from each section are better than their counterparts who obtained less than 25% in one section but scored enough marks in another section to be able to scramble over the line in the worst case scenario? In any case, are the scores less significant or more important because they are obtained in different sections?

How would such deliberate mass rejection of brilliant students by the School contribute to building a strong nation or a healthy profession? Let the Ghana Legal Council answer─ isn’t such reckless rejection of brilliant courageous students tantamount to causing financial loss to the state? If we were a serious country, those responsible for the mess would have been appropriately axed from their jobs by now!

Come to think about it ─ there is little difference between 419 and 499. They have similar syllables, similar rhythm and rhyme. The only variation is the middle numbers. You can easily exchange 499 with 419 any day without provoking any suspicion. The story of the 449 students looks like some refined ”Shatta Wale” prank the authorities played on the students.

The Ghana Law School cannot put unreasonable obstructions on the dreams and aspirations of hard working students who have passed their exams on pure merit. Brutally knocking down the dreams and aspirations of some of the best brains in this country on such paltry pettiness is not only unreasonable, it is in bad taste and it must be corrected.

The School must apologize to the students, address their concerns, refine its methods and move away from the policy of killing the dreams and aspirations of our youth or risk being left behind the radar of obscurity.

More from Author (39)

More

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter

body-container-line