Helpful Tips To Get You Into A PR Career
Tips for Starting a Career in Public Relations
College students can prepare for entry into the public relations field by doing some or all of the following:
- Consider writing intensive majors such as English, Journalism, Communications or Marketing.
- Develop and promote a blog on a topic of interest.
- Develop and document your writing/communication credentials by working for campus newspapers, magazines and tv stations.
- Work as a public relations coordinator for campus organizations.
- Land a student job in offices where the college is promoted or events are organized like the college's media relations/communications department, sports information office, admissions, events or alumni affairs offices.
- Pursue positions with student clubs where you can organize concerts, speakers, fashion shows and other events.
- Conduct informational interviews with PR professionals through alumni/family contacts and professionals in your home area.
- Ask professionals if you can job shadow them during school breaks.
- Complete internships with PR firms, communication departments, media outlets and/or marketing firms. Contact small local firms near your school or home through local chambers of commerce as well as targeting big name firms.
- Join the Public Relations Student Society of America to learn more about the field, identify mentors and internships as well as to demonstrate your professional interest.
- Consider starting your career with a paid post-graduate internship.
By preparing in these ways you'll distinguish yourself from the competition and lay the foundation for a rewarding career in public relations.