24.04.2005 Confederation Cup

Faisal qualifies for next stage of CAF Cup

Listen to article

Kumasi, April 24, GNA- A lone goal scored by Kwabena Poku in the 43rd minute enabled King Faisal to beat Bendel Insurance of Nigeria in their CAF Confederations Cup match played at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi on Sunday.

With this victory, Faisal has qualified for the next stage of the competition, having drawn 0-0 with Bendel Insurance in the first leg played in Nigeria a fortnight ago.

Faisal who did not take chances moved into action immediately referee David Yameago of Burkina Faso whistled for hostilities to begin with Eric Gawu missing a good chance in the ninth minute when he had only goalkeeper Felix Levi to beat.

The home side continued to pile pressure on their opponents and in the 23rd minute goalkeeper Levi collided with one of his defenders and was given first aid which enabled hi to continue play. With the packed defence of Bendel, the attacking machinery of Faisal led by Gawu, Ben Wilson and Eric Ansah, were kept at bay most of the time.

Against the run of play, Bendel came into the picture and had a free kick at a good position in the 34th minute but John George squandered the opportunity. Okoronko Emeka was booked for rough play in the 35th minute.

In the 42nd minute, Faisal moved deep into the vital area of their opponents and a cross from Eric Ansah, was perfectly headed by Gawu but hit the downside of the right upright. With the heat on the visitors, Kwabena Poku headed home the opener a minute later.

Early in the second half, Bendel had two successive free kicks in the Faisal goal area but they failed to make hay.

They later brought in Ambrose Vanzekin for limping goalkeeper Levi in the 49th minute but it was still Faisal who continued to dominate the game.

Determined to pull even, Bendel replaced Yhuanwagho Osahon and Okoronko with Emmanuel Feni and Bayo Hassan in the 66th and 74th minutes respectively but it could not change the pattern of their game, as they allowed Faisal to dictate the pace.

Referee Yameago had a tough time in the 78th minute when he whistled for a penalty against Bendel. The Nigerian players rushed on him to protest as the security personnel intervened swiftly to restore law and order.

Goalkeeper Vanzekin saved the resultant kick by Ben Wilson.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter