ModernGhana logo
20.01.2005 Crime & Punishment

Pastors in custody over alleged murder of Niger national

Listen to article

Agona Swedru, Jan 20, GNA - Two pastors of the Christ Assembly Church at Mankrong-Junction in the Agona District have been placed in prison custody over the alleged murder of a trader from Niger. They are James Amenyor Mawuli, Founder and Leader of the Church and his Deputy, Philip Gyame (Alias) Kwame Okyere.

ASP W.K. Morttey, Swedru Divisional Crime Officer of the Ghana Police told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the Agona Swedru Magistrate Court remanded them in prison custody to reappear on the February 1 2005.

He said the deceased, Gibrime Fusieni arrived in the country 10 days before the Eid Ul Fitre festival last year on the invitation of his brother, Fuseini Jamboro a resident of Mankrong-Junction.

According to the Divisional Crime Officer, the brother of the deceased bought some perfumes, suiting materials, watches, calculators and other items for him to sell.

ASP Morttey said that on January 7 this year, the deceased went out to sell his wares and returned home safely.

He said the brother of the deceased warned him not to go far since he did not know the area very well.

The Crime Officer said on January 8, 2005, he went out again to sell his wares but did not return home.

He said Fuseini Jamboro informed the community about his brother's disappearance and a search party was organised to look for him.

On January 9, 2005, ASP Morttey said Fuseini Jamboro was informed that a dead body had been found under a coconut tree in a plantation close to the Ayensu River at Agona Oketsiew, with a knife still in the chest.

The Crime Officer, said Fuseini Jamboro identified the body as that of his brother .

According to the ASP Morttey the two Pastors who were herbalists who had converted to Christianity were arrested on suspicion.

The Crime Officer appealed to the public especially those in the Mankrong-Junction area to assist the Police in their investigations and said the body had been deposited at the Cape Coast Hospital morgue for autopsy.

Join our Newsletter