Accra, July 31,GNA - One person was wounded on Saturday when feuding factions in the Nungua Chieftaincy Dispute clashed at Nungua in Accra. The timely arrival of the Police averted a possible bloodbath.
Members of Nii Odaifio's faction in the dispute were alleged to have attacked Nii Odai Ayiku, Nungua Manste's faction while he was rounding off the Kplezoo festival with a grand durbar at the forecourt of the Nungua Traditional Council building. Eyewitnesses told the Ghana News Agency that a group of men believed to be members of Nii Odaifio faction attacked supporters of Nii Ayiku during which one person was wounded.
Mr Kofi Boakye, Greater Accra Regional Police Commander, told the Ghana News Agency that he had earlier met both factions and explained to them that they could only hold the celebrations indoors due to the volatile situation in the town. "I am surprised about this situation since I have met both parties and received assurances from them to abide by the rules to avoid any mayhem." He said the Police received a letter from Nii Ayiku on July 19, 2004 applying for Police protection to enable him to round off the Festival with a durbar at the forecourt of the Nungua Traditional Authority building. He said while the Police was considering the application the other faction wrote to the Police that the festival was being celebrated out of season and that there was a court ruling against Nii Ayiku celebrating the festival.
Mr Boakye, who is an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), said the letter threatened that there would be chaos if the celebration were allowed to go on. He said he held a meeting with both factions at which he told them that in 2002 the Regional Security Council; the Ga Traditional Council and other stakeholders agreed that no outdoor celebration should be held in any town embroiled in chieftaincy dispute. ACP Boakye said he, therefore, advised the two factions not to celebrate any festival in public but in their homes and they agreed.