Accra, July 22, GNA- Mr Boniface Agambila, Director of the National Service Secretariat on Thursday said the increment of allowances for National Service Personnel was in progress and that it would be "irresponsible for them to embark on a strike action".
The National Service Personnel Association (NASPA) has given Friday, July 23 2004, as the deadline for the authorities concerned to explain why the increment in salaries, which took effect from March, this year, did not reflect in their allowances.
In a telephone interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA), Mr Agambila said his office had received the new salary levels but was waiting for a circular from the government that would direct when the increment should take place.
He said the formula for calculating the national service allowance has not followed a regular pattern saying, "Previously when increment comes, national service allowances are also increased, but the process has changed", he said.
"Government is not ready for any blackmail, besides the national executives are aware of the receipt of the information on the new salary level from government, what is left is the circular which we are waiting for," Mr Agambila said.
Asked when the government circular would be ready and which month the increment was supposed to take effect, Mr Agambila said he did not know.
When the GNA contacted the NASPA, Mr Wilfred Mensah, National President of the Association said they still stood by the strike action until they heard from the government before the close of work on Friday. He said all Regional Executives have been put on alert for a peaceful demonstration to that effect. 22 July 04