Police say no to CJA march
The Greater Accra Regional Police command says an intended procession called by the Committee for Joint Action on the March 6, 2007 cannot take place.
The CJA which has organized a series of demonstrations against various government policies, announced at a press conference on Tuesday that it would embark on a jubilee procession on Independence Day.
According to them, the march would involve the down trodden in society who they said had been ignored by the government in the Golden Jubilee celebrations of Ghana's Independence.
But in an interview with Joy News the Greater Accra Regional Police Commander, ACP Douglas Akrofi-Asiedu said the supposed march needed to be postponed as his officers would be too occupied with activities in commemoration of the jubilee.
“We told them verbally that that will not be possible and we are also going to write to them formally that they should postpone their intended procession.”
He said the nation was expecting a lot of visitors, including dignitaries from all over the world for whom security would be provided by the police, in addition to the police participation in the 6 March parade by the security services.
He said the procession could come off at least two weeks after the independence anniversary celebration but before then, the police would ensure the march did not take place.