24.10.2004 Sports News

B/A United Beat Bofoakwa 2-0

Listen to article

Tottering B/A. United thrashed local arch rivals, Bofoakwa Tano 2-0 in their second round group "A" encounter of the Ghana Telecom Premier Soccer League played at the Coronation Park, Sunyani on Sunday. United scored a goal in each half with Awudu Moro and substitute Usman Sakora finding the net in the first and second halves respectively.

The victory has not only enabled United to avenge the 0-1 defeat suffered in the hands of Bofoakwa in the first round but it also helped them to increase their points to four on the league table.

Playing with all their might in view of their shaky position in the northern sector of the competition, United resorted to an attacking game right from the commencement of the match and missed a goal chance in the fifth minute when Daniel Bomfah failed to utilize a through pass.

There was high tension in the match compelling Class One Referee Godson K. Zorve of Kumasi to show Stephen Ofei of Bofoakwa a yellow card in the eighth minute for rough play.

The seriousness with which the attacking force of United conducted themselves right from the early minutes of the game was a clear indication that they were determined to win.

In the 20th minute, United had the ball in their opponents' net but the referee disallowed it with an explanation that he had earlier whistled for an infringement against a player of United for charging Bofoakwa's goalkeeper Ransford Cudjoe before the ball was shot into the net United grabbed their first goal in the 29th minute. It was the result of a perfect corner-kick that generated a melee and unmarked Awudu Moro seeing that goalkeeper Cudjoe had moved forward from the posts shot the ball through the forest of legs into the empty net. In the 35th minute Osei Kuffour of Bofoakwa joined the yellow card victims for rough play.

Unlike the first half when United dominated play, the tide changed in favour of Bofoakwa on resumption of the second half, but Samuel Tawiah wasted two glorious chances in the 53rd and 60th minutes when he played above the bar on both occasions.

Bofoakwa's goal efforts became short-lived and when United took over, it was pressure upon pressure on Bofo's defence, forcing Paul Donkor, "Wofa" (Uncle) Abeiku Aikins, Ofei and Kwasi Owusu to do "overtime."

United increased their lead to 2-0 in the dying embers of the match when goalkeeper Cudjoe of Bofoakwa failed to grab a low shot by hard-running Usman Sakora.

ModernGhana Links