ModernGhana logo
15.08.2004 Football News

Bofoakwa Hold Kotoko

Listen to article

A second half display of matured and experienced soccer by the Porcupine Warriors, Kumasi Asante Kotoko made Bofoakwa Tano to surrender their two first half goals to settle for 2-2 in their titanic return GHALCA special Knockout encounter at the Coronation Park on Sunday.

The Oseikrom boys conceded the two goals due to a porous defence and had to make changes in the second half to strengthen their rear and attacking machinery to stem the onslaught of the Sunyani boys.

Playing against the background of a comfortable 4-1 win in the first encounter in Kumasi a couple of weeks ago, Kotoko gave an early indication of carrying the day but the "Bofo" boys seized the game and dictated proceedings with much pace that had goalkeeper Osei Boateng a his best to make dramatic saves.

Bofoakwa continued bombarding Kotoko's defence made up of Michael Appiah, Samuel Addo, Dan Acquah, Willie Thompson and Nana Acheampong and in the 34th minute a pass from defender Abeiku Aikins found Yahaya Deedey whose header zoomed into the net for the opening goal. The attacking force of Kotoko made up of Kweku Essien, Edward Owusu- Ansah, Michael Osei, Elvis Opoku and Imbola Sanjie were not impressive up front.

In the 43rd minute, Bofoakwa increased their lead to 2-0 to end the first half.

On resumption of the second half, Kotoko proved their mettle and their teeming supporters responded to their assaults with "Bofo too known, Bofo too known".

The Oseikrom boys made timely substitutions and defender Samuel Addo pulled a goal back for his side in the 55th minute with a powerful shot that goalkeeper Ransford Cudjoe failed to grab.

Kotoko who from then were on top grabbed their second goal in the 63rd minute through Imbola Sanjie from a Michael Osei's pass.

Referee Ibrahim Iddrisu of Tamale flashed the yellow card on Bofoakwa's Paul Donkor and Yaw Antwi as well as Kotoko's Imbola Sanjie for rough play.

Soccer Mountaineers, Okwawu United eliminated Koforidua-based Power F/C with a 2-1 victory in their match played at the Mpraeso Park. Power kicked off but lost the ball to Okwawu who dominated play initially with Mohammed Polo combining effectively with Kobina Yaro and Baba Yussuf Yakubu who sent in a number of incursions into the Okwawu area but failed to find target.

Okwawu's effort at goal was however rewarded in the 25th minute when Thomas Avorgbedor fired a straight shot that beat Power's keeper, Sulemana Abubakari for the opener.

Power equalised on the stroke of half time from a spot kick effectively taken by centre forward Musah Baba after their attacker was fouled in the box.

Okwawu took advantage of their numerical strength after Power's Alan Shererr was shown the red card by Kumasi-based Class One referee, Samuel Manu for elbowing Okwawu's Baba Yakubu in the 55th minute and Yaro was on hand to fetch the winner a few minutes later.

Join our Newsletter