Tumu, (U/W), July 6, GNA – Contractors who have abandoned major road works in the Upper West Region have been issued a one week ultimatum to report to site or have their contracts terminated and re-awarded.
Alhaji Amidu Sulemana, Upper West Regional Minister issued the ultimatum on Friday while inspecting a bridge that had been washed off along the Tumu-Gwollu road by a heavy down pour on Tuesday.
Alhaji Sulemana said government had awarded all major roads in the region on contract for reshaping and warned that any contractor who would want to thwart this effort of ensuring good roads in the region would not be tolerated.
When the Regional Minister arrived at the scene the contractor was already on site working hard to fix the bridge.
Alhaji Sulemana said the road had been awarded on contract for tarring and appealed to the contractor to ensure that the bridge is repaired and the road tarred as soon as possible.
Madam Alijata Sulemana, the Sissala East District Chief Executive (DCE), who accompanied the Minister to inspect the bridge pleaded with users of the road to be patient as the contractor was working hard to fix the bridge.