23.05.2004 Football News

Kotoko Thrash B/A United

Listen to article

Kumasi Asante Kotoko opened their title defence with a 4-1 win over Brong-Ahafo United in the novelty zonal premier league match played in Kumasi on Sunday.

Kotoko, who are in Zone 'B', started the game on a fast note but allowed United to take over and nearly had the opener in the second minute but Kwadwo Owusu's shot missed the post narrowly. Kotoko quickly counter attacked with Charles Taylor making series of forays into United's territory and in the fifth minute, Taylor's shot was pushed to corner by goalkeeper Lovelace Neequaye but the resultant kick was wasted.

Taylor again moved into United's goal area in the 12th minute but was brought down just behind the box for a free kick but he shot the ball over the bar.

Kotoko continued to pile on the pressure but missed clear chances that came their way and allowed United to open the score in the 29th minute through Abedi Sarfo after he displaced goalkeeper Alhassan Mohammed who came out of his line to make a save.

Patrick Duodu of United was shown the yellow card in the 31st minute for rough play on Michael Ofosu-Appiah.

Left off the hook, Kotoko countered immediately for Charles Taylor to level the score in the 36th minute with a 30-metre free kick. Yusif Chipsah made it 2-1 for Kotoko with a header from Taylor's free kick in the 43rd minute.

Frank Osei of Kotoko also attracted the yellow card for fouling goalkeeper Neequaye in the 45th minute.

Determined to win massively, Kotoko struck again in the 58th minute through Frank Osei after receiving a beautiful pass from Nana Arhin Duah.

Charles Taylor gave way to Stephen Oduro in the 63rd minute while Frank Osei missed a glaring chance in the 66th minute as his shot went off target.

Kotoko brought in Mbola Sanjie for Chipsah in the 71st minute to strengthen the attack and this paid off for the team when Frank Osei scored the fourth goal in the 72nd minute.

William Thompson came in for Michael Osei in the 75th minute while United also brought in Ernest Owusu for Samuel Owusu with goalkeeper Neequaye giving way to Joseph Quansah in the 76th minute.

Referee Sam Kwarteng from Koforidua disallowed substitute Mbola's goal in the 89th minute to bring proceedings to an end.

ModernGhana Links