"Trotro'' drivers withdraw their services
Takoradi, Oct 04, GNA - "Trotro" drivers in the Sekondi-Takoradi metropolis on Monday withdrew their services in reaction to what they described as police "harassment".
They said their action would continue until the police and the courts dealt "leniently" with them for "minor faults on their vehicles and offences that they commit".
As a result, hundreds of people were stranded. Students, traders and workers had to walk long distances or abandoned the journey. At the "trotro" stations, drivers who were prepared to work were prevented from doing so and passengers who had already boarded those vehicles were forced to disembark.
Some of the striking drivers told the GNA that the police had not been fair to them since they stepped up their checks aimed at reducing accidents.
Kojo Dadzie said drivers were fined heavily for minor offences at the courts but could not say which offences he considered minor. Mr Victor Adusa-Poku, the Deputy Superintendent of Police in charge of MTTU, said he did not know the drivers were on strike and that he would send his men to investigate.
He said the exercise to get rid of rickety vehicles that posed danger to other road users would continue. Whereas some of the drivers were happy about the regular police motor checks because vehicle owners were forced to replace worn out parts, others saw it as harassment and condemned the action. Chairman of the Ghana Private Road Transport Union was not available when the GNA called at his office.