ModernGhana logo
27.01.2005 Football News

Major Larson takes a swipe at GHALCA

Listen to article

Accra, Jan 27, GNA- Major Yaw Larson, (RTD) Chief Executive of Kumasi Asante Kotoko has taken a swipe at the Disciplinary Committee (DC) of the Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) for declaring his club losers in their Coca Cola Top Four game against Kpando Heart of Lions played at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in Accra last Sunday.

"I take exception to the ruling of the DC. All they did was to follow books without relating them to the real situation on the ground." The Chief Executive who spoke on Joy FM's Super Morning Show on Thursday criticised the three-member committee for failing to make room for eventualities before arriving at the decision.

"What people are failing to recognize is that the fans could have done worse things had we not abandoned the game," he said, adding that he was however not in support of the manner in which the team conducted itself.

Major Larson was reacting to the DC's decision to award three points and three goals to the competition debutants, Heart of Lions, after the "Porcupine Warriors" staged a walkout in their match, with only three minutes to end proceedings after conceding a penalty. The committee, after its Wednesday's sitting declared Lions winners in the game in accordance with Article 35(a) and (b) of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) regulations, which were adopted by the organizers for the six-week fiesta.

On the DC's decision to ban Mr Jerry Asare, Accra Representative from holding himself as an official of Kotoko for the rest of the competition, the Chief Executive described the ruling as harsh. He felt Mr Asare's conduct was in the interest of the club and argued, "he was representing me in Accra and did everything in the interest of the club. He personally told me about calls he received from the stands which threatened that we either forgot the match or faced their wrath."

Angry officials of Kotoko led by Mr Asare on Sunday matched off their players from the field with three minutes of play left in protest against a penalty decision against them.

This was after FIFA Referee, Joseph. O. Lamptey had pointed to the spot after Issah Ahmed had brought down Lions' Sadat Bukari in the box in the 87th minute.

The Lions opened the scores in the 46th minute when Bukari applied his head to a lob from the right flank but the goal was cancelled by Osei Kwame in the 73rd minute from what some connoisseurs believed was from an off-side position.

The Kpando-based club now leads the four-team table with three points and three goals after the first round of matches.

Join our Newsletter