Kpone (GAR), Sept. 15, GNA - Vice President Mahama, on Wednesday, asked artisans, especially those who work with explosive materials to adhere to safety rules and procedures to avoid fatal accidents. The Vice President gave the advice when he consoled the bereaved families of an auto welder, Osei Kwabena Noonor and his apprentice, Kwabena, who were killed, on Friday, at their garage when the oxygen cylinder they were working with exploded and caught fire.
A schoolboy, Francis Agyeman, who was trapped in the accident is on admission at the Tema General Hospital. Vice President Mahama, who presented four million cedis, mattresses, blankets and rice to the bereaved families, urged them to resign their fate to God, who knows what is best at all times. He assured the people at Kokompe, where the incident happened that the government would invest in the area to improve the economic prospects there.
Narrating the incident, Mr. Felix Okrah, said at about 1600 hours on Friday, they heard a loud explosion accompanied by flames from the garage. When the neighbourhood was searched, the bodies were found. He said that of Noonor, 33, was badly disintegrated with the pieces collected in the neighbourhood over a three-day period. The explosion also destroyed 50 birds from a nearby poultry farm and other property. He thanked the Government for the expression of sympathy.