ModernGhana logo
16.06.2004 Tabloid News

Court grants couple 15 million cedis bail for assault

Listen to article

Ejisu (Ash), June 16, GNA - The Ejisu magistrate court on Monday granted a couple from Bonwire, 15 million cedis bail with one surety to be justified for threat and assault.

Richard Oppong, a 38-year-old Barber and his wife, Adwoa Serwaa, 45, a cooked food seller, were said to have assaulted a pregnant woman leading to her miscarriage. Oppong pleaded not guilty to the charges but Serwaa pleaded guilty and will re-appear on June 24.

Presenting the facts of the case, Police Inspector Simon Peter Akabati said Madam Afua Akomah, the complainant and her husband; Mr Kwadwo Owusu lived in the same house with the accused persons at

Bonwire. He said when Owusu was about to go on a trek; he introduced Oppong to his wife, Madam Akomah as a brother who would help her in time of need during his absence.

Inspector Akabati said two weeks after the complainant's husband had left, Oppong visited her thrice and on all these occasions, he asked to have sex with her.

Fearing that Madam Akomah will tell her husband on his return, Oppong therefore gave her 100,000 cedis as pacification so that she should not tell anyone about it.

However, two weeks after the pacification, the prosecutor said, Oppong heard rumours in the town about what transpired between him and the complainant and therefore went and warned her that if he ever heard people talking about it again he would injure her.

A week later, the prosecutor said, Oppong went to the house to force Madam Akomah out of the house but she resisted the attempt but fearing for her life she started packing their things to leave the house but Oppong prevented her from doing so.

Inspector Akabati said following this development, Madam Akomah went and told her parents and on her way back to the house, Oppong and his wife who had waylaid her, pounced on her and beat her up resulting in her getting a miscarriage.

He said one Kofi Mensah went to her rescue and sent her to the hospital and later reported the matter to the police.