Accra, May 19, GNA - Alhaji Muhammad Mumuni, Former Minister for Employment and Social Welfare, on Wednesday denied his involvement in a 20 million-cedi fraud at the National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) during his tenure of office in the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Government.
He said the seriousness of the assertions and the imputations of criminality levelled against him by the "Daily Guide" an Accra private newspaper, had greatly injured his hard won reputation.
Alhaji Mumuni, who was speaking at a press conference in Accra, said he was determined to protect his reputation adding that he had been greatly injured in character and reputation and had been brought into public scandal, odium and contempt.
He said he had suffered hurt feelings and psychological trauma at the apprehension that such seriously libellous assertions could be made against him with such careless abandon.
Giving a background to the allegation, Alhaji Mumuni said prior to the publication in the "Daily Guide" the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service had invited him in connection with an alleged fraudulent payment for goods worth 1.3 billion cedis to a company - Supply and Source Limited - but he declined to comment.
He said since the CID was acting on an Audit Report prepared by Messrs Baffour and Associates, he needed certain documents before he could comment.
Alhaji Mummuni said a few hours later, he was contacted by the "Daily Guide" to confirm the Police invitation and whether he had made a statement, but again he declined to comment since the Director of NVTI, Dr Michael Y. Boateng and the Chief Accountant were facing criminal prosecution and, therefore any comment was could be sub-judice.