ModernGhana logo
22.04.2004 General News

Army Officer appeals for reinstatement of rank

Listen to article

Accra, April 22, GNA - Lieutenant Colonel Retired Enoch Ofosu Okyere formerly with the Ghana Armed Forces on Thursday appealed to the National Reconciliation Commission (NRC) to reinstate him to the rank of Major-General and be given the appropriate compensation.

He said he was forced to retire in 1982 at the age of 45 years after serving twenty-three and half years in the service. Lt. Col. (Rtd) Okyere said his premature retirement was based on his arrest by Akatapore and his men for allegedly shooting somebody and running away.

The Witness said he explained to Brigadier Arnold Quainoo, Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings and one Anyomi Mensah that he was arrested near the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation when he was returning from his family house at Adabraka adding that the charge being levelled against him was not true.

He said they could not effect his release though they knew he was telling the truth, adding that he was rather sent to the Nsawam Medium Prisons with some four others where he spent four months. Lt. Col. (Rtd) Okyere said after he was released, they drove him straight to the Ministry of Defence where the Chief of Staff, Kwame Berfi asked him to proceed on leave immediately.

He said whilst on leave when Mr. Peter Nanfuri, then Head of the Bureau of National Investigations sent for him and questioned him on the allegation that he went to Togo and Nigeria to discuss a coup plot with dissidents.

He said he told Mr. Nanfuri that he had not been to the two countries before, adding that on May 25, 1982, while still on leave he received a letter for his compulsory retirement saying that he was not paid the ex-gratia award he was entitled to, in addition to his car being seized.

Lt. Col. Okyere said in his second petition that a car belonging to his brother, Dr. Kwame Marfo Okyere was also seized by one colonel Awah.

He said when his brother, who was then in Britain came to Ghana in 1984 and followed up for the release of his car, Major Quashigah ordered his arrest, adding that his brother was shaved and detained for three days and was forced to pay for the food he ate while in detention. He called on the Commission to compensate him and his brother.

Join our Newsletter