ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: Why Are Black People Obsessed With The Bible That Was Used To Enslave ...

body-container-line-1
04.03.2009 Disaster

Fire destroys a 74 year-old woman’s house

By GNA

Fire gutted a house at Mfrano near Suhum in the Eastern Region on Tuesday, destroying property running into hundreds of Ghana cedis.

Also burnt in the blaze is an amount of 2,200 Ghana Cedis.

The 74 year-old owner of the house, Madam Dora Ayebia, told the Ghana News Agency that she suspected that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

Madam Ayebia, who is a Traditional Birth Attendant, alleged that some electricians who wired the house recently did a shoddy work.

She said the fire was detected by her 10-year old grand-son who saw smoke coming out of one of the rooms and reported to her.

Madam Ayebia said a distress call was made to the Suhum Fire Service station, but before fire men could arrive, part of the house had already been destroyed.

She said the money destroyed in the disaster belonged to her son and his pregnant wife who had just returned from Burkina Faso.

Madam Ayebia made a passionate appeal to the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) to come to their aid.

Mr Nicolas Ebenezer Zabor, Suhum District Fire Officer, confirmed the story and said it took the fire men and some volunteers about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.

GNA

body-container-line