Govt Deploys More Securitymen
Following renewed violence at Bawku and its environs at the weekend, the government has deployed military and police reinforcements to the area to bring the situation there under control.
Kwamena Bartels, Minister of the Interior, told the Times yesterday that the soldiers were being moved from Kumasi, Sunyani, Tamale and Accra to the area to maintain law and order at Bawku.
He could, however, not readily tell the number of security personnel deployed.
As to why the conflict keeps recurring in spite of the huge military presence in Bawku and its environs, Mr Bartels said besides the vastness of the area the feuding factions seemed not prepared to give peace a chance.
'The people are not prepared to give peace a chance. They are carrying their old grudges over and over again,' he said.
Since December 31, last year, there has been sporadic violent clashes in the Bawku Municipality between Kusasis and Mamprusis.
The clashes, which started during the celebration of the Samanpiid festival, resulted in the loss of lives and destruction of property.
As part of security measures, the government has been imposing dusk-to-dawn curfews from time to time besides deploying security personnel to the municipality and its environs.