Reports from the Intensive Care Unit of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, say the suspected lone armed robber, Alfred Eric Zieme, had been on hunger strike prior to his discharge last Wednesday.
The suspect was shot in the legs last week when he attempted to escape from lawful custody and had since been on admission at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. He refused to take any meals but had not given any reasons for his action.
Described as a violent robber with a penchant for robbing and killing his victims in broad daylight, the 25-year-old man was shot by the police when he attempted to escape at Fufuo, near Barekese, after he had led the police there as part of their investigations.
The suspect, whose legs were in a plaster of Paris, is now in police custody to assist them in their investigations.
A source close to the KATH told the Daily Graphic that prior to his discharge, Zieme revealed that he has links in parts of the country so no matter how long he spends on remand, he would be set free, so we should prepare for the worst,” the source hinted.
The source, which described the suspect as one of the most dangerous criminals in the country in recent times, also said the suspect confided in him that he succeeded in robbing one of his victims to the tune of GH¢100,000 (¢1 billion) and another of GH¢50,000 (¢500 million) and invested them in his project at the Race Course area at Bantama in Kumasi.
The suspect, who was under heavy police guard for the period he spent at the ICU, is alleged to have robbed every major fuel station along the Kumasi-Sunyani road.
According to the police, investigations into his operations were ongoing, and that he would be arraigned soon.
Story by George Ernest Asare