ModernGhana logo
29.01.2007 General News

'Dead' suspect resurrects

By : Daily Graphic
Listen to article

A cunning suspect in a case of attempted murder who feigned death met his match in a witty doctor who forced him to 'resurrect' after threatening to put him in the morgue.

The drama occurred at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital where on arrival the suspect, 38-year old Benson Kyei pretended to be lifeless.

Reading through the lines, the doctor on duty told nurses to prepare “the dead man” for the mortuary.

On hearing that, Kyei screamed out in Twi “menwui oo!” meaning “I'm not dead! I'm not dead!” and quickly lifted himself up, drawing laughter from the medical staff and others present.

Benson was then 'discharged' and handed over to the police who whisked him into custody for further investigations.

Before his resort to that ploy, Benson was in police custody for a bizarre case in which he was said to have brutalized one Kofi Kyei with a machete on the evening of January 16, 2007 at about 8 pm and inflicted wounds on his chest, neck, shoulders and the left thumb, which was completely chopped off.

Benson was said to have been involved in a land dispute with Kofi, which had lingered for two years and was pending at the Kumasi Circuit Court to be recalled on February 2, 2007.

He said about a year and a half ago, Kofi inflicted machete wounds on Benson over the same land dispute and the matter was taken to court, after which the Kumasi Circuit Court placed an injunction on the land ordering both of them not to develop it until the matter was determined.

Police Inspector Tanko said Kofi met Benson winning sand on the land recently.

He said a confrontation ensued after which Kofi went to Kumasi to inform his lawyer about Benson's activities on the land.

He said about 8 pm of that day, , Kofi decided to go out of the house and unknown to him Benson had laid ambush for on a bush path at the precincts of his house.

He said Benson allegedly attacked Kofi on his way out of the house and left him with multiple machete wounds.

He said Kofi screamed for help after which his wife and child came to his rescue and took him to the Dominase SDA Hospital.

Inspector Tanko said Benson, who also sustained some injuries in the ensuing attack went to the police station to report that he had been attacked by Kofi and was given a medical form to attend hospital.

Source: Daily Graphic