ModernGhana logo
16.08.2004 Football News

"Dade boys" move to next stage

Listen to article

A second half strike by Amui Quaye moved Accra Great Olympics into the next stage of the GHALCA Special Knock-out competition after beating stubborn Fayernood by a lone goal in their return leg played at the Accra Sport Stadium on Sunday.

The encounter, poised on a knife-edge after the first leg ended goalless at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium and bearing in mind that Fayernood beat Olympics the last time they played at the same stadium saw the young Fayernood lads matching the home team boot for boot in the early exchanges.

Olympics were determined to avenge the painful one nil defeat of their last encounter and they gradually warmed themselves into the game and managed to create some decent scoring chances but failed to convert them.

The game then degenerated into rough play with both sides trying to exert themselves in the midfield resulting in referee G K Zorve flashing out four yellow cards to restore sanity.

Fayernood were the first to come very close to scoring when in the 20th minute, Anas Mohammed formerly of Kumasi Asante Kotoko whipped in a low drive which whistled pass the front of the Olympics goal line. Olympics regrouped after the scare and in the 42nd minute they came close to scoring but a well-taken shot by Mohammed Tanko from the left unfortunately hit the side netting.

Fayernood came into the picture in the second half a refreshed side and nearly took the lead in the 50th minute when substitute Dominic Adiya's free header from a Anas Mohammed's cross just flew over the cross bar.

In the 56th minute, Fayernood after a number of trials managed to get the ball into the net when Iddi Yekini pounced on a loose ball on top of the Olympics penalty box to fire in but to the goal scorer's amazement his effort was ruled offside.

The scare was not enough to fire Olympics into action as Fayernood continued to dominate from the midfield but were not able to get the ball into the net as Kwabina Dodzie at the back for the "Dade boys" defence played magnificently to repeal all their efforts.

Against the run of play, two Olympics substitutes conspired to win the day for their side when J. B Danquah latched on a loose ball from the right to centre for Amui Quaye who tapped it into the open net in the 76th minute.

Fayernood tried all they could to level up but found Olympics not in the mood to let their guard down till the final whistle to win the match one nil on aggregate.

Olympics would thus meet Kumasi King Faisal in the second phase of the competition after the Kumasi team also disposed of Sekondi Hasaacas. 15 Aug. 04

Join our Newsletter