The Government has warned it would deal with all involved in the alleged attack of a questioner at the Peoples' Assembly forum held in Sunyani on Tuesday.
A self-styled man of God, Evangelist Daniel Oppong claimed he was set upon by some heavily built men as he stepped out of the Christ The King Parish Hall venue of the forum soon after he challenged President Kufuor to a vow.
The assault, he claimed, left him with a swollen jaw and bloodied mouth.
Dan Oppong had asked President Kufuor to swear if he or any of his ministers had not dipped their hands into State coffers since assuming office and invoked the wrath of God on anyone stealing from public kitty given the state of Ghana's poverty.
A statement signed by Oboshie Sai Cofie, Deputy Minister of Information and National Orientation acknowledged that Government's attention had been drawn to the allegation of harassment and intimidation.
The statement said “Government strongly protests the violence against the contributor, if found to be true, and in this case, will spare no effort in identifying the perpetrator or perpetrators and bringing them to book.”
Government found “the allegation most unfortunate, and if found to be true, would like to re-emphasize that the very idea of the innovative People's Assembly, is to ensure a consistent deepening and strengthening of our democracy. One of the core values to be defended and sustained is that of freedom of speech.”
In condemning that alleged attack, the statement said President Kufuor and the Minister of Information and National Orientation had both spoken at length about the need for tolerance, even when views and opinions differed.