Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

25.01.2006 General News

Kumasi riot left two dead


Accra, Jan. 25, GNA - The Minister for the Interior, Papa Owusu-Ankomah on Wednesday explained to Parliament the circumstances that led to the death of Mohammed Kabiru Gado and Abdul Razak Akilo all of Kumasi on March 1 and 2, last year during a riot at Suame and New Zongo in Kumasi.

This was after Alhaji Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka; NDC-Asawase had asked him to explain the circumstances leading to the death of the two and one Mallam Musah.

Papa Owusu-Ankomah, however, said there was no information from the Police Administration on the death of Mallam Musah or any other person in the course of the confrontation except the two.

He explained that on March 1, at about 14 hours some unidentified group of persons attacked some residents and drivers and their vehicles at Ash-Town, Allabar and Manhyia in the Kumasi metropolis.

The group, he said, damaged a number of vehicles, looted stores and injured a number of innocent persons.

The Minister said a team of policemen from the Buffalo Unit, Striking Force and the Manhyia Division were immediately dispatched to the area to control the riot.

He said a gang numbering about 300 confronted the police detachment with some carrying guns, axes and cutlasses but the gang on seeing the police detachment retreated.

"Subsequently, I am informed that some members of the gang seized a taxicab No. AS 1774 driven by one Enoch Asumedu, whom they ordered to take them to Suame.

"Though the gang members were wielding guns, cutlasses and axes, the driver courageously drove them to the Manhyia Police Station but the group managed to escape arrest."

Papa Owusu-Ankomah said the police, however, pursued them and fired warning shots during the hectic confrontation with the gang. "In the process 13 vehicles were damaged and property including money were stolen from various stores within the vicinity of the Manhyia Police Station."

The Minister said his investigation revealed that while the trouble was going on around Manhyia, one Gado Kabiru who hailed from Zongo Allabar went to Suame and an unidentified group alleged he was a thief and attacked him, which attracted a crowd that lynched him. "Since the deceased, Gado Kabiru was a Moslem he was buried at the Old Tafo public cemetery the same day by his relatives and some sympathisers, but on their way from the cemetery, some members of the group of mourners who were armed with cutlasses, guns and axes attacked anyone they met on their way, damaging vehicles, and also looting property from stores and shops."

Papa Owusu-Ankomah said unfortunately, during a shoot-out with the police, one Abdul Razak Issaka also known as Abdul Razak Akilo was killed by a stray bullet.

He said nine members of the gang; Abdallah Murtala, Kamil Abdulai, Kwaku Abdulai, Issifu Haruna, Seidu Issah, Kamel Mohammed, Charles Boateng, Jamal Muniru Attah and Kwame Appiah were arrested by the police.

"On March 2, 2005 all the suspects were arraigned before the Circuit Court II, presided over by Mr T Y Obimpeh but their plea was not taken and they were remanded."

The Minister said the suspects were currently on bail and the case was before Circuit Court 3 Kumasi and the dockets had been forwarded to the Attorney General's office, Kumasi for study and advice.