Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Can We Blame Religion For Africa’s Economic Woes?...

body-container-line
12.07.2005 Regional News

MPP spends C270bn on school infrastructure, boreholes

GNA

Nkwanta/Kadjebi (V/R), July 12, GNA - A total of 270 billion cedis was spent under the Fifth EU Micro Projects Programme (MPP) to provide school infrastructure and 106 boreholes throughout the country. In all 75,000 pupils and 30,000 people would benefit from the projects located in 56 districts in the Volta, Central, Upper-West, Upper-East, Northern and Ashanti regions.

This were contained in a speech read on behalf of Mr Kwadwo Baah-Wiredu, the Minister for Finance and Economic Planning, at the commissioning of EU projects at Nkwanta and Pampawie in the Nkwanta and Kadjebi districts of the Volta Region.

A total of 133 projects worth 8.2 billion cedis were executed in the Nkwanta, Kadjebi, Hohoe, Jasikan, Kpando, Ho, Keta, Akatsi, South-Tongu and North-Tongu districts during the third phase of the project. Nkwanta and Kadjebi districts benefited from 829 million cedis and 910 million cedis worth of projects respectively, 75 per cent of which were borne by the EU with the district assemblies taking up the remaining 25 per cent.

Mr Baah-Wiredu said the MPP was based on the overall strategy of achieving a sustainable economic growth and accumulated poverty reduction within a sustainable democracy as enshrined in the Ghana Poverty Reduction Strategy.

He reiterated the government's appreciation to the EU for its continued and invaluable support to development efforts for the country. Mrs Janet Appiah, a representative of the EU Ambassador, said around 1,950 micro projects including nurses and teachers quarters, clinics, school blocks, market stalls, and libraries and water and sanitation facilities were implemented nationwide.

She called on the beneficiary communities to cultivate the culture of maintenance in order to extend the lifespan of the facilities and safeguard the huge investment from running down the drain. Rev Samuel Otu-Pimpong, Acting National Programme Co-coordinator, told the people that MPP do not engage the services of contractors as being peddled by rumour mongers.

He said, "District assemblies have therefore not embezzled any fund meant for our projects. The philosophy of the project must be understood".

Mr Kofi Adjei Ntim and Mr Yaw Denteh District Chief Executives for Kadjebi and Nkwanta respectively appealed to chiefs to rekindle the communal participation of their people in public projects and programmes.

body-container-line