Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Can We Blame Religion For Africa’s Economic Woes?...

04.07.2005 Regional News

Police prevent clash between Tepa and Brosankro


Tepa (Ash), July 4, GNA - The timely intervention by the Tepa and Bechem police last Thursday averted what could have been a bloody clash between the people of Tepa in the Ahafo-Ano North district and Brosankro in the Tano South district of Brong-Ahafo over a disputed land. The Tepa and Bechem Districts Police Command quickly moved police to the two towns where tension had mounted and managed to calm down the two communities.

Briefing the Ghana News Agency on the matter at Tepa, Superintendent Ampofo Duku, the Tepa District Police Commander, said police had information last Thursday morning that some youth at Tepa were molesting some traders from Brosankro who had come to the Tepa market by preventing them from entering the market and seizing their goods.

He said the Brosankro traders managed to get back to their town, which is on the main road to Tepa from either Kumasi or Bechem and informed their people of the treatment meted out to them at Tepa. This, Supt. Duku said infuriated the people of Brosankro who mounted road blocks to prevent vehicles from Kumasi, Sunyani and Bechem from travelling to Tepa.

He said the police went to the Tepa market to advise the youth to stop carrying out any unauthorised activities which were detrimental to the peace and stability of the area and they complied. When the Ghana News Agency arrived at Brosankro, Supt. Duku had succeeded in persuading the people to dismantle the road blocks but there were still visible tension.

The chief of Brosankro could not be reached for his comments as he had travelled to the Manhyia palace in Kumasi on the disputed land and Nana Kusi Appiahene, the Akwamuhene of the town refused to talk and directed the GNA to the police.

Later in an interview with Nana Adusei Atwenewaah Ampem I, paramount chief of Tepa, he confirmed that there was a boundary dispute between the two towns and that it was pending at Manhyia Palace but gave the assurance that the issue would be settled amicably since the two towns had a long standing good relationship.