ModernGhana logo
27.03.2004 General News

Royal Thief Arrest

Listen to article

Kofi Annor, grandson of the late Odeneho Oduro Numapau II, Omanhene of Esumeja Traditional Area, has been arrested for stealing the regalia that were to be used in laying the late Omanhene in state.

Kofi Annor, alias Shamale who allegedly stole repeatedly from his grandfather, appeared determined not to allow the deceased to rest in peace, even after the Omanhene's death. The funeral of the chief therefore presented a great opportunity for him, to steal some regalia from the palace for the last time and make some money.

Annor conspired with his friend, Kwabena Sampson, and broke into a room to steal apart of the regalia that were to be used in laying the late Omanhene in state. The two suspects have been arraigned before the Bekwai Magistrate Court presided over by Mr Adjei Frimpong, on charges of unlawful entry and stealing.

On their first appearance last week, their pleas were not taken and the court remanded them in prison custody. In remanding them in custody, the judge took into consideration the funeral of the Omanhene which was in progress. The decision was also to allow the police to complete their investigations.

The facts of the case as presented by Inspector E.D. Koranteng, was that Annor used to stay with Odeneho Numapau, when he was alive. However, due to persistent stealing, the Omanhene sacked him from the palace. The prosecution stated that when the Omanhene died, Annor resurfaced at the palace. On March 1, this year, the queen mother of Esumeja and the elders of the town went to Nana's bedroom to select regalia to be used in laying him in state.

Inspector Koranteng said, the items, including kente cloths and umbrellas were placed in a big hall where the Omanhene was to be laid in state. The next day, the traditional authorities detected that the window to the hall had been broken and the items were missing.

Eyewitnesses informed the mourners that they saw Annor and Sampson bolting with items. Consequently, the police mounted a search for them leading to their arrest.