Mensah pulls out of Stars pack
South-based Ghanaian defender Jonathan Mensah has decided to withdraw from the Black Stars squad for next week's international friendly against Tunisia at the Ohene Djan Stadium to aid his club's faltering domestic campaign.
The 19-year-old wants to aid Free State Stars' dwindling fortunes in the league after a slump in form.
Stars are currently second-bottom in the South Africa Premier Soccer League after seven rounds of matches.
Mensah has been pivotal in the Stars back line in his four month stay at the club.
The former AshantiGold player was also impressive when he played for the national Under-20 team in their last qualifier against Gambia last month.
"We lost our seventh league game on our home grounds on Wednesday and we are also going to play an away game against Ajax Cape-Town after that game we're going to play against Sundows," Mensah told Ghanasoccernet.com
"The coach told me he cannot afford to lose me and I also recovered from an injury so I have agreed to stay.
"It's unfortunate because it would have afforded me the opportunity to prove and do what I can do."
Mensah was one of the three new players invited by head coach Milovan Rajevac for this tie.
The others are Arab Contractors midfielder Samuel Kyere and Hapoel Tel Aviv's Sam Yeboah.