RESPONDING TO A TURBULENT ECONOMY AND A CHANGING CLIMATE
MIDDLE EAST AND MEDITERRANEAN REGION
Madrid 5 November 2008. Faced with growing economic uncertainty UNWTO is examining how the tourism sector can respond effectively, while building new frameworks to adapt to climate change and development imperatives. This will be the focus of the Global Ministers' Summit at World Travel Market (London, UK, 11 November). A series of conferences focusing on the regional impacts and response will follow, starting in the Middle East.
The first UNWTO Regional Conference – for the Middle East and Mediterranean - will be held in Sharm el Sheikh (23-24 November) under the patronage of the Minister of Tourism of Egypt and the Egyptian Tourism Federation.
Against the backdrop of the London Ministers' Summit, the Sharm el Sheikh event will be an opportunity for high level regional consideration of short and long term structural challenges facing the sector:
* It will provide a basis for evaluating economic impacts and market tendancies - with a strong emphasis on responsive public / private sector actions
* Special emphasis will be given to industry resilience initiatives as well as practical examples of climate response.
The Conference will be chaired by HE Zohair Garrana, Minister of Tourism of Egypt. Keynote speaker will be UNWTO Secretary General Francesco Frangialli
All sessions will be highly interactive and solutions focussed. Speakers from around the world will include:
* Peter Keller - former Chair of the OECD Tourism Committee who will discuss UNWTO's New Economy Study;
* Geoffrey Lipman – UNWTO Assistant Secretary-General who will report on Tourism Climate Response;
* Dr. Ghassan Aidi - President International Hotel & Restaurant Association (IH&RA); and
* Martin Brackenbury, President of the International Federation of Tour Operators (IFTO) both of whom will explore changing market realities and industry action.
There will be no conference fees and special rates are available for hotels and flights.
Assistant Secretary General & Spokesperson: Geoffrey Lipman
Media Officer: Marcelo Risi
T: +34 91-567-8178 /8100 - F: +34 91-567-8218
[email protected] – www.UNWTO.org