The NPP executives in the North East region have reacted to claims by Kennedy Agyapong, an aspiring flagbearer of the party and an MP for Assin Central that they refused to meet with him during his campaign tour of the region.
According to the regional executives, there was no communication from the coordinators of Mr Agyapong’s campaign to the North East Regional secretariat of the NPP informing leadership of their intention to take their campaign to the North East Region.
In effect, the regional executives said they were never informed of the visit of Mr Agyapong to the region on the said date.
The regional executives’ reaction was contained in a statement dated November 30, 2022, and signed by Sulley Sambian, the Regional Secretary for North East Region.
Below is the full statement:
We the regional executives of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the North East Region have chanced upon audio recordings making rounds on social media purporting to be the voice of Hon Kennedy Agyepong. In the said pieces of audios, the Honourable Kennedy Agyepong is heard berating Honourable Mohammed Samba and Honourable Fusheini Nurudeen, the regional chairmen of the NPP for the Northern and North East Regions respectively.
The Honourable Member of Parliarment for Assin Central in the Central region is heard accusing these two regional Chairmen of preventing their respective regional executive committees from meeting him.
We the NPP executives in the North East Region wish to state as follows:
1. There was no communication from the coordinators of Kennedy Agyepong’s campaign to the North East Regional secretariat of the NPP informing leadership of their intention to take their campaign to the North East Region.
In effect, the regional executive committee of NPP in the North East Region was never informed of the visit of Honourable Kennedy Agyepong to the region on the said date.
2. We as a secretariat are not privy to any communication from the regional chairman to constituencies not to honor the invite of Honourable Kennedy Agyepong.
3. Besides the aforementioned reasons, almost all the regional executives were attending the funeral of a prominent party leader in Walewale with the Vice president almost at the same time Honourable Kennedy Agyepong and his team were in Nalerigu to meet the constituency and regional executives.
This is a known fact to the Honourable MP.
4. There wouldn’t be any good reason to deny the Hon MP access to party officers. Any attempt to do that will amount to denying the grassroots of our party the opportunity to interact with an influential person in the party like Kennedy Agyepong.
5. The region will at all times be ready and willing to welcome the Hon MP or any other person desiring to meet party officers in our region.
We are particularly worried that the Honourable Kennedy Agyepong extended his unwanted attacks to the Vice president.
These kind of attacks are not healthy for the forward match of the party, especially going into the 2024 elections.
Does Honourable Kennedy Agyepong know the implications of what he said about H.E Dr Bawumia in case he (Dr Bawumia) wins the NPP presidential primaries?
What will be Kennedy Agyepong's campaign message to Ghanaians should Bawumia get the opportunity to lead the party into the 2024 elections?
In conclusion, we the regional executive committee of the NPP in the North East Region wishes to admonish all presidential aspirants of the party to conduct their campaigns devoid of personal attacks.
We also urge them to refrain from saying things that will eventually affect the campaigns of the party going into the 2024 elections regardless of whoever leads the party