– Bisi Adewale
Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars: She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table. She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city, Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him Proverbs 9:1-4 (KJV).
To build a great house you need a strong foundation and pillars; prayer and fasting will never sustain a skyscraper you build without strong pillars. Likewise, marriage needs to be built on very strong pillars to make it stand and weather the storm of life, which may come as wind, flood to test the strength of a home and its stability.
The following resources combine together to make strong pillars for marriage:
1) GODLINESS: Marriage is a godly product. So, it will take a godly attitude to sustain it. Godliness will make you to love God and his son/daughter in your life. Godliness involves living like God, living for God, living in God, living on God, living with God. It involves Christ likeness, obedient to the word of God and humility. Godliness connotes godly attitude like love, tolerance, forgiveness, acceptance, goodness, prayerfulness and friendliness which actually make marriage work.
2) PRAYER: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened Matthew 7:7, 8 (KJV). Don't be careless with your marriage, pray about your spouse's and your own emotion, actions, reactions, attitudes and characters. Pray against satanic manipulation of your marital choice. Pray against any evil plan against your marriage, spouse and children. Insure your marriage daily with prayers.
3) DIVINE DIRECTION: I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee Psalms 32:8, 9 (KJV). Marriage is like a road to an unknown city; you will need somebody that knows the way to lead you. Only God knows tomorrow, so allow him to lead you into it without regrets. Your eyes may see a beautiful face, but it takes God to show you a beautiful destiny. Don't just marry anybody, pray and get direction from God.
4) ADEQUATE PREPARATION: The preparations of the heart in man and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord Proverbs 16:1 (KJV). Marriage is a long time journey; it needs to be adequately prepared for. Don't rush into it. Prepare physically, spiritually, intellectually, emotionally and vocationally. For more on this, get a copy of my book: Preparing for Marriage.
5) WISDOM: Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength Proverbs 24:3-5 (KJV). Marriage doesn't work by age, it works by wisdom. Many people are suffering in their marriage today because they lack the required wisdom for a successful family life. Get wisdom through marriage programmes, books, CD's, DVD and Marriage School.
6) EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION: Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord Ephesians 5:19 (KJV). For marriage to last, effective communication must be in place. This involves truthfulness, sincerity, openness and clarity. Negative statements like: fool, idiot, stupid, mad should be avoided. Use: I am sorry. I love you, you are beautiful. All these positive words will keep your marriage on track.
7) SERVICE: Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others Philippians 2:4 (KJV). Successful marriage is a product of service from two angles. That is, the husband and wife. Those who go into marriage looking for somebody that will serve them will make a mess of their marriage in no time. Serve your partner; don't wait to be served. Render a helping hand to your spouse at all times even if he is indifferent.
culled from EXCELLENT MARRIAGE TRAINING HANDBOOK VOLUME 5
You can order for it on konga.com
Bisi Adewale is an International Conference Speaker on Marriage, Parenting and Family Life, He is the author of the bestselling books: Secrets of an Irresistible Wife, Parenting Teenagers, Parenting boys and Girls and more than 70 other bestselling books on marriage and family life.
He is the president of Family Booster Ministries International and College of Marital Success (CMS), Host of Family Booster Moments on TV, watched in many countries across the globe.
Bisi Adewale, is an accountant by training, called and trained as a family minister to rebuild all dilapidated homes, He is the host of the popular Lagos Couples' Conference and Breakthrough for Singles Summit. He blogs daily at www. totalfamilylife.com .
He is happily married to Yomi a Chartered Accountant, Counsellor and Teacher of the word, they are bless with Godly Children, they lives in Lagos, Nigeria.