Winneba, (C/R), Jan. 29, GNA-A group of aggrieved residents at Kasoa in the Central Region, have threatened the life of Mr. Solomon Kwashie Abbam-Quaye, District Chief Executive for Awutu-Effutu-Senya and two opinion leaders at Kasoa, if the Kasoa old market is demolished on March 1 this year as planned by the Awutu-Effutu-Senya District Assembly.
The two opinion leaders targeted by the group are, Mr Haruna Mensah, the executive secretary of the Odupongkpehe or Kasoa Market Women's Retailers Association, and Mr Kojo Sagoe, Chairman of Kasoa Urban Council.
Mr Abbam-Quaye, who disclosed this to the press at Winneba over the weekend, said shortly after the final ultimatum was given to the traders at a public forum at Kasoa last Wednesday, the three men started receiving telephone calls from the group threatening to eliminate them. According to the DCE, so far he had recorded more than a dozen of such "death threat" calls from members of the group.
He said one of the callers cautioned him that as from now the DCE should not go to Kasoa alone without adequate security guard if he (the DCE) wants to prolong his life span.
Mr Abbam-Quaye said he had reported the case to the police and other national security networks and expressed the hope that they would intensify their investigations to bring those involved to book to serve as a deterrent to other criminals in the district. He reiterated the District Assembly's uninterrupted determination to demolish the Kasoa old market as planned,adding that no amount of threats or intimidation could stop the assembly from implementing the plan. The Central Regional Security Council (RESEC) under the chairmanship of the Regional Minister, Mr. Isaac Edumadze, had already officially endorsed the Awutu-Effutu-Senya District Assembly's initiative after meeting all key stakeholders involved in the old Kasoa market impasse.