Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

body-container-line
07.01.2006 Crime & Punishment

Hotel attendant in trouble

By GNA

Aflao, Jan 07, GNA - The police are interrogating an attendant at an Aflao hotel in connection with the alleged theft of 7 million CFA Franc.

The money is said to belong to one Abdul Razak, a businessman, who checked into the hotel on December 28 last year.

Mawuli Zotu, 22, the attendant suspected to have stolen the money, has denied the allegation and is on police enquiry bail. Mr Samuel Sackitey, the District Police Commander, told the GNA that Razak arrived late at Aflao on his way to Lome to purchase a vehicle and booked into the Thanks Hotel near the main public transport terminal.

He said after checking in, Razak decided to change some of the CFA notes into cedis and put 7 million CFA of the 13 million CFA he had on him on top of the hotel room wardrobe, 5 million CFA under the bed and the rest one million CFA into his pocket.

Mr Sackitey said Razak handed over the key to his room to Zotu and informed him that he had some money in the room and therefore he (Zotu) should not give the key to anybody.

He said Razak maintained that when he returned, he detected that the centre table, which he had climbed to put the money on top of the wardrobe and placed it back at its original place was near the wardrobe, suggesting somebody had been into the room. Mr Sackitey said on further inspection of the room he (Razak) detected that the money on top of the wardrobe was missing. He said Razak confronted Zotu but he denied entering the room or picking any money.

A source close to the hotel management told the GNA that Razak was aware of the hotel lodging regulations that enjoined him to have declared and presented the money at the reception for safe keeping. He said the claim by Razak that he informed the receptionist that he had money in the hotel room was no proof that he had money in the room let alone that it was stolen. Mr Sackitey said investigations were continuing.

body-container-line