Ho, March 7, GNA- Over 300 students, civil and Non-governmental organisations on Monday trooped to the 66 Artillery Regiment (Volta Barracks) to acquaint themselves with the operations of the regiment. The Regional Minister, Mr Kofi Dzamesi, Ho Municipal Chief Executive, Mr Mawutor Goh and the Regional Coordinating Director, Mr Steve Selormey were part of the group.
They were briefed on the history and evolution of artillery and taken through photo exhibitions, display of weapons and military dressing, kit laying, demonstration on double sentry drill and tour of the Barracks.
Major Dominic Dieu-Donne Gbedawo said the open day, which was part of activities marking the 48th Independence Anniversary is to promote cordial civil-military relations.
Giving the historical background to artillery in the country, Lieutenant Ebenezer Laryea Odumang said the present 66 Artillery Regiment came into existence on the 16th April 1966 as the Medium Mortar Regiment until June 3, 2003 when the unit took delivery of new artillery pieces hence the change of name.
He said the 66 Artillery Regiment had provided independent batteries in support of Ghanaian and foreign battalions on peacekeeping duties.
" Until March 1992, there had been an independent Mortar Battery operating in Lebanon. This battery was designated the 'Ghana Mortar Coy' and served the Force Fire Support unit for 13 years", he said. Lieutenant Odumang said currently, a Mortar Troop and 107 mililitres metres RL Detachment from the Regiment is operating on rotational basis as part of the United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ivory Coast.