Kumasi, Aug 19, GNA- The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) is to replace all communal refuse containers currently being used in some parts of the metropolis with house-to-house refuse collection containers by next year.
Mr Charles Mensah, Public Relations Officer of the Waste Management Department of the KMA who announced this said, the project started in 1998 has already covered a number of houses and suburbs in three sub-metro councils in the metropolis.
Mr Mensah was addressing hazard awareness creation programme organised in Kumasi on Thursday by the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) office of the KMA for residents of Aboabo Extension in Kumasi.
Mr Mensah said some houses in the Bantama, Asokwa and part of Manhyia sub-metropolitan councils have so far been covered by the house-to-house collection project.
"The project is presently being carried out by six contractors with adequate vehicles to ensure that the house-to-house container collection facility is extended to all households by the end of next year", he added.
Mr S. M. Abdul Rahman, Deputy Ashanti Regional Co-ordinator of NADMO in-charge of Operations, advised Ghanaians to desist from perceiving NADMO only as an entity concerned with supplying relief items to victims of disaster.
He said the focus of NADMO was to create awareness about disasters and how to prevent such occurrences.
Mr Antwi Boasiako, Kumasi Metropolitan Co-ordinator of NADMO, appealed to residents in flood pruned areas, especially Aboabo Extension and Atonsu "A" Line, to adopt positive attitudes towards protecting their local environment.
He said it was only when they cease dumping waste into the stream that floods in those two communities could be well addressed.