ACOF-GRATITUDE TO MINISTER OF ROADS
The Minister ( Hon. A. Sulemana);
Ministry of Roads And Highways;
REQUEST FOR EXECUTION OF ROAD REHABILITATION WORKS IN SOME KWAEBIBIREM DISTRICT COMMUNITIES CONTRACTED OUT IN 2012, UNDER THE FORMER MINISTER FOR COMPLETION IN 2013
I deem it a great pleasure and with much honour and respect to inform you, your Most Respectable and High Political Office of the following information:
1. INTRODUCTION OF ORGANIZATION: That there exits a Community-Based Organization (CBO) in Asuom in the Kwaebibirem District in the Eastern Region called Asuom Community Foundation (ACOF), which has chosen a commitment to help and facilitate efforts towards promoting social development (SoDev), Sustainable development (SuDev), the achievement of the millennium development goals (MDGs),and improving livelihoods and quality of life of the people in the District
2. That I forward this message to you, in my capacity as the Founder and Executive Director of ACOF, and on behalf of the ACOF members, and the Chiefs and People of all Communities that lie along the Kade-Subi-Abodom-Asuom-Tweapease-Bomso-Abomosu stretch of Road which is woefully dilapidated and risky for use.
3. CONGRASTULATIIONS: On behalf of the members of ACOF, and the Chiefs and good people of the Kade-Abodom-Asuom areas, I wish to congratulate you greatly for being successfully appointed to the high office of the Minster of Roads and Highways. I wish to further remind you that:
• Roads are the nerves of economic and national development, and hence require sustainable and good governance in the management of the road sector;
• There is the requirement for much focus on continuity of road projects initiated by the former Minister, Hon. Joe Gidisu, especially road networks in the rural areas.
4. OUR REQUEST ON ROAD PROJECTS IN THE KWAEBIBIREM DISTRICT:
On behalf of the leadership of ACOF, AND THE chiefs and people in the Kade-Abodom-Asuom areas, I wish to inform you and your Office of the following:
• That, in the early days of November, 2012, I extended invitation to the former Minister for Roads and Highways, to attend a scheduled programme at Asuom on Road issues, but which he which he could not attend, but sent a delegation to me with documents on the rehabilitation of some roads in the Eastern Region, including the Kade-Subi-Abodom-Asuom-Abomosu stretch of roads, which have been awarded to some Contractors for work to be done and completed , by the close of 2013.
• That the delegation also brought to ACOF an amount of GHC500.00 to support the programme, in affirmative response to our request for support as such.
• That I had to officially inform all the Chiefs and Elders in the communities that lie along that stretch of road and the District Chief Executive, who hitherto had no official information and knowledge about the rehabilitation works on the roads
• That I also made public announcements about the intention of the NDC Government to rehabilitee the roads, even before the elections, and that the announcement added more commendation to the Government, especially from the Traditional Leadership side.
• That with the change of Ministerial leadership, and for the purpose of affirmative continuity of earlier planned projects, there is the need to officially draw your attention to the planned road rehabilitation projects on the Kade-Abodom-Asuom-Abomosu stretch of road, so it does not beco0me forgotten and abandoned.
• That to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled a Delegation of Chiefs and Elders will make follow-up visits to your Office, when you assume office fully, by the close of February this year.
• That, we appeal to you to confer and consult with your Chief Directors and Engineers of the of the Ghana Highways Authority in Accra Head Office and in Koforidua( Eastern Region about this road project for progress on it and further affirmative action.
• That in conformity with local citizens' participation in community project management, we request that the Contractors who have been awarded such contracts be officially introduced to the communities for purposes of community monitoring over materials and good work
a) That we appeal to you to direct the Contractors to use local content ( local labour) to help, so as to create some casual job opportunities for the youth who are unemployed in the project area.
b) That you make sure that this road project is captured in the President's State of the Nation's Address, to be delivered in the early part of the year
5. THE LIST OF ROAD REHABILITATION PROJECT WORK:
For the purposes of verification I hereby provide the list of the road networks to be rehabilitated as documented and submitted to us. They include the following:
1. Subi-Junction-Abodom-Asuom-Abomosu( 40 km)-costing GHC 579,88.00-and contracted to YAHANNEX Limited in Accra
2. Boadua-Akwatia Road( 6.0 km) and Kade Township Road, all costing GHC 580,925.68) –contracted to CASBIDE Construction Limited
3. Abomosu-Kwabeng Road (9.4 km) costing GHC 480,157.20-AND CVONTRACXTED TO Philip Duba Company Limited in Kumasi.
6. OUR PRAYERS: We pray that God gives you guidance, wisdom, strength, a sense of discernment and judgment, tolerance and the spirit of dedication, commitment, selflessness and high sense of responsibility, to enable you keep up to the task assigned to you, to the admiration and satisfaction of the President who appointed you and the good people of Ghana, whom you are appointed to serve.
Once again, I say AYIKOO, MO; AKPE, BRAVO, CONGRATULATIONS.
We hope to hear favourably from you and your Office soon.
George Ankomah Yeboah
( Executive Director-ACOF)-( 0268594570 // 0236650248)
• The Eastern Regional Minister; Koforidua
• The Eastern Regional Director; Ghana Highways Authority; Koforidua
• The District Chief Executive; KDA. Kade
• All Concerned Chiefs, Elders and People
• The Chairman, NDC, Kade District/Chairman
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."