FEATURED: Why Are Black People Obsessed With The Bible That Was Used To Enslave ...

09.10.2008 Social News

Police invite Appiah Kubi

By Times
Police invite Appiah Kubi

Andy Appiah-Kubi, an NPP parliamentary aspirant for the Asante Akim North contituency, yesterday reported at the Ashanti Regional Police Command where he held a meeting with the Regional Commander, Kwaku Ayensu Opare-Addo.

The meeting bordered on recent developments in the constituency following the death of Mr Kwadwo Baah-Wiredu, the Member of Parliament for the area, in South Africa a fortnight ago.

The commander rescheduled the meeting for Thursday in order to meet Mr. Appiah-Kubi together with the Municipal Chief Executive, Mr. George Kwame Frimpong, to resolve the issue.

The MCE, according to the Konongo Police had lodged a complaint against Mr. Appiah-Kubi for threatening to kill him.

But Appiah-Kubi, in a chat with the Times on phone, denied ever threatening to kill the MCE or anyone in the area. “What will I gain from such a thing”? he asked.

He said he had no animosity against anyone in the area and he did not need to become a member of parliament to contribute to the area's development.

Mr. Appiah-Kubi who is the Deputy Executive Secretary of the Free Zones Board, called for peace and unity among the rank and file of the party.

According to him, he had been accused of not attending the one week celebration of the late minister, which was not his making explaining that some youth who did not like him, had threatened to kill him.

He recalled a planned visit to the bereaved family which was called off on the advice of the police.

In a follow-up telephone interview with the “Times” yesterday in Accra, Mr. Appiah-Kubi said he was awaiting the outcome of the final verdict of the vetting committee for the primaries in the constituency.

He said he had given his assurance to the constituency that he would respect the results of the primaries adding that he had successfully filed his nominations in spite of several plots to prevent him from doing so.

He cited, for instance, the nomination fee which was originally GH¢200, but was arbitrarily increased to GH¢1,000, when he got to the constituency office to file for the primaries.

He managed to pay.

He said the vetting committee, however, disqualified him when he appeared before it on grounds that the constituency executives said they could not work with him.

He noted that some members alleged that he was also disqualified from campaigning in the town because he did not attend the one week funeral rites of the late Baah-Wiredu.

Source: Times