The Agona West Municipal Command of the Ghana Fire Service in collaboration with the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), have embarked on a programme to educate market women of the Swedru Central market on fire prevention.
The fire personnel, led by the Municipal Fire Commander Mr Alfred A. Acheampong inspected electricity installations and other electrical appliances being used at the market.
Commander Acheampong said the inspection of shops and stalls in the market led to the discovery of illegal connections of electricity, which can easily cause fire.
Mr Acheampong said the ECG officials gave the shop owners, who had illegally connected electricity, a three-day ultimatum to apply for meters or “face the full rigorous of the law”.
He said the women were also advised to switch off all their electrical appliances before leaving for home, and cautioned food sellers to ensure that they put off their fires before leaving for home.
The Fire Commander urged the women to engage competent electricians to fix their electricity installations to avert fire out breaks and urged them to acquire fire extinguishers.
Mr Acheampong appealed to the Agona West Municipal Assembly to make the market accessible to enable fire personnel to enter there unimpeded during fire outbreaks.
The Fire Commander said a total of 50 shops and stores owners had been cautioned to acquire certificates, and that those who fail to do that would be prosecuted.
“We would soon embark on an exercise to close down all shops and stores, which fail to comply
Mr Acheampong urged the authorities of Junior and High Schools as well as other institutions in the Municipality to apply for fire certificates to avoid arrest and prosecution.