ModernGhana logo
30.10.2005 League Report

Feyenoored hold Bofoakwa

Listen to article

Visiting Gomoa Fetteh Feyenoored displayed a much- improved second half game to hold Bofoakwa Tano 1-1 in their GT Premier League match at the Sunyani Coronation Park on Sunday.

The match was watched by a sparse crowd with the home team squandering a number of goal scoring chances with Reuben Senyo Owusu Sarpong as the worst offender in the initial stages of the game. Yaw Antwi however managed to find the net in the 35th minute for the opening goal when he converted a penalty that was awarded Bofoakwa. The Feyeenord lads exhibited their academic talents by putting the ball on the turf in the second half and anytime they went into attack the defense of Bofoakwa were found wanting.

The visitors used their youthful exuberance to sustain the pressure on Bofoakwa and it came as no surprise when Mahadi Abubakar capitalized on a defensive blunder to pull even for his side in the 65th minute. Dadaehi Sheriff, the captain of Fayeenord was adjudged the best player of the match.

Okwawu United beat visiting Real Tamale United 1-0 at the Nkawkaw Park, thanks to an 82nd minute strike by defender Kwame Antwi. The former Hearts of Oak defender, playing only his first season with Okwawu, spiked the ball in from close range in a tense goalmouth action as the ball arrived in front of him from an Azumah Nelson pass. The goal was the only thing that separated both side in a match in which the visitors gave a good account of themselves throughout the proceedings, compelling the jittery home crowd to frown at most of the decisions of Accra based Class One referee, Rev Thomas Nunoo. In the first half, Okwawu assumed control and went forward looking for goals, but when the opportunities arrived in the 13th and 22nd minutes, Ibrahim Issaka and Yussif Abubakar sent their shots wayward. The missed opportunities of the homers continued when Thomas Avorgbedor shot away from target on 25 minutes and Emmanuel Abito maintained the status quo five minutes later with another awful effort at goal.

The exchanges became hotter in the second half as RTU came out smoking, but it was Okwawu who nearly went into the lead when Farouk Adamu thundered a powerful shot against the right upright. Okwawu, however, made a nuisance of the rebound, which was towered over the bar by Issaka Ibrahim

RTU were in the driving seat in the last quarter hour, as they pressed looking for the equaliser, but the defence of Okwawu remained resolute and warded off all their goal-bound efforts.

Join our Newsletter