08.06.2003 League Report

League Day 5: Results

By gna
League Day 5: Results
Listen to article

Results of the fifth week matches of the Kinapharma Premiere League played on Sunday. Faisal 0-1 Hearts (Kingston) Stay Cool 1-3 Kotoko (K: Duah, Chipsah, Osei) B/A United 2-0 Bofoakwa Mines Stars 2-1 Power FC RTU - Hasaacas G'fields 1-1 Liberty Olympics 1-1 Berekum Arsenal Played on Saturday Accra: Okwawu 1-0 Lions Kotoko beat Stay Cool 3-1 Kumasi Asante Kotoko maintained their top position in the Kinapharma Premier league when they beat Stay Cool Professionals 3-1 in their league match played at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Sunday. Playing under the instruction of Takoradi based class one referee Robert Quainoo, Kotoko attacked first but their attack was short lived. In the 18th minute, the attackers of Kotoko made up of Stephen Oduro, Michael Osei, Yusif Chibsah and Isaac Boakye prevailed and subjected their opponents to intense pressure. As a result, Kotoko scored two rapid goals through inside left Arhin Duah and outside right Yusif Chibsah in the 16th and 20th minute respectively. In the 23rd minute Stay Cool hit back and earned a free kick just outside the '18' from which George Danso scored in the 23rd minute. Kotoko resumed the second half strongly and forced Stay Cool to defend most of the time and it came as no surprise when inside left Michael Osei raised Kotoko's lead to 3-1 in the 58th minute. The plight of Stay Cool was worsened when George Danso was ejected for a second yellow card offence in the 69th minute. Kotoko capitalised on their numerical advantage and piled pressure on Stay Cool but the defence of Stay Cool had to work overtime to prevent conceding more goals. Okwawu United records first win in premiership 7 June -- Okwawu United on Saturday recorded their first win in the premiership by beating Kpando Heart of Lions by a lone goal in the fifth week Kinapharma Premier League match played at the Accra Sports Stadium. Having drawn one and lost three in the first four matches leading to the removal of rasta-haired coach Nana Agyeman, the team which now played under the instructions of Adolf Adu-Botwe scored in the 44th minute through a spot kick converted by smallish Elvis Opoku to win the three maximum point at stake. Okwawu, which looked a transformed side dominated play in the greater part of the first half with a solid defence marshalled around experienced players like George Tutu and Eddy Aqcauye and former Dawu Youngster and Kotoko player Mohamed Polo, combining with Elvis Opoku in midfield to give the visitors many anxious moments. However it was the visitors who could have gone up early in the half after they had created some scoring chances, which were surprisingly wasted by another Dawub Youngsters import Paul Ofori. Lions resumed the half with much determination to equalize but this wane off, leaving the homesters to take control of the game again and had greater part of the exchanges, which nearly resulted in more goals, but striker Osei Bonsu failed to make use of the chances in the 59th and 75th minutes. The visitors made two substitutions in the second half by introducing Ibrahim Iddrisu and Dramani Hamidu, who brought new breath into the lions game, but this could not yield any results, though they fought hard in the later part to snatch the equalizer. However Okwawu could have gone up again in the dying minutes of the game, following an intense pressure they mounted on their opponents, in which their strikers also fail to convert for Sunyani based referee J.H Quashie to bring proceedings to an end after two minutes of added time. LIBERTY HOLD GOLDFIELDS At Obuasi, Dansoman-based Liberty Professionals forced Obuasi Goldfields to a 1-1 draw in their match played at the Len Clay Stadium. Goldfields who played a great game against Kotoko in Kumasi last Thursday started the game in a whirlwind manner, earning two corner kicks by the 12th minute, but they wasted the set pieces. Playing with speed, stamina and great skills, Goldfields' youngster Shaibu Yakubu harassed the defence of the visitors who picked the ball twice from their net in the 13th and 29th minutes but assistant referee F.B. Arthur flagged both efforts offside to the displeasure of the home fans. In the 42nd minute, Shaibu set the stadium alight with a terrific grounder that went past goalkeeper Kotei Blankson for the opener. The Miners kept the pressure on the visitors on resumption of the second half and won a corner in the 46th, but it was to no avail. Liberty improved upon their game and managed to secure the equaliser in the 60th minute when David Boateng connected a pass from Neequaye Pappoe. Both teams made changes with Liberty substituting Addoquaye Pappoe and Neequaye Pappoe with Kwabena Nketia and George Yamoah while Goldfields' Alfred Arthur, Kossi Noutsoudje and Malik Gargo came on for Eric Boakye, George Eranio and Stephen Amo but the score-line could not change. B. A. UNITED DECISION BOFOAKWA At Sunyani, poor goalkeeping by Michael Addai of Bofoakwa Tano caused his side to bow 0-2 to their local rivals, B.A. United in their tension-packed local derby played at the Sunyani Coronation Park. Goalkeeper Addai's poor show in the game started in the sixth minute when his poor anticipation enabled speedster Kwasi Boateng of United the chance to open the scoring for his side. Nana Frimpong, playing at the centre forward position created the chance when he cleverly outwitted onrushing goalkeeper Addai by passing the ball to Kwasi Boateng who slotted it into the empty net for the opening goal of the match. In the 13th minute Tahiru Abdulai in jersey number 55 and leading the Bofoakwa Tano attack nearly equalized for his side but his header in the penalty box went straight into the hands of goalkeeper Ahmed Molideen of United. Nana Gyamfi of Bofoakwa popularly called "Disco" who was off colour in the match was the first to taste Tema-based FIFA referee C.M. Atsatsa's yellow card for rough play in the 16th minute.

Bofoakwa came into the scoring range in the18th minute but Alex Gyimah wasted the chance as his terrific shot went off target.

The tempo of the game increased as both teams redoubled their efforts in attack. Bofoakwa was slightly on top in the exchanges but each time the defence of United stood firm and weathered the storm.

Before the first half ended Kwame Andrew of United attracted a yellow card for upending Matthew Kwasi in the 43rd minute. Early in the second half Nana Frimpong moved threateningly and managed to reach the vital zone of Bofoakwa but he was held in check by the defence. In the 67th minute Bofoakwa introduced Mensah Fred Anane for Issah Abu, but the technical men of Bofoakwa later realized that they had made a bad decision and so after playing for only 15 minutes Anane who was virtually a passenger was also replaced by Kojo Mongai who proved better. Referee Atsatsa cautioned Kwasi Owusu, central defender of Bofoakwa for dissent. Substitute Nana Adarkwa increased United's lead to two on the 90th minute when goalkeeper Addai failed to make a first time save.

ARSENALS SURPRISE OLYMPICS Wonder Club, Accra Great Olympics struggled to earn a point at home when they drew 1-1 with Berekum Arsenals in their match played at the Accra Sports Stadium.

Olympics kicked off strongly and dominated the early exchanges, opening the scoring in the fourth minute, when Michael Ocansey was brought down in the box. Roger Odamtten converted the resultant penalty kick when he placed the ball at the blind side of Justice Quarcoo in post for Arsenals.

The early dominance by Olympics fizzled out after the lead as they allowed Arsenals to take over the game. Olympics players, in a bid to keep pace with their much bigger and stronger opponents resorted to rough play which earned Nana Eshun and Emmanuel Ansong yellow cards in the 6th and 18th minutes.

But even though the visitors had the better of the play, especially in the midfield, they could not translate their dominance into goals as the Olympics rearguard of Numo Mohammed and Victor Ogoe kept them at bay.

Injury forced both teams to make early substitutions as Olympics took off Paa Joe Kumah and brought in Amui Quaye, whiles Arsenals brought on Awudu Ronaldo for Charles Benson in the 35th and 39th minutes respectively.

In the second half, Arsenals continued to probe for the equaliser as they restricted their opponents to their own half and sounded an early warning in the 52nd minute when Ronaldo's header from Kofi Osei's cross, missed the post by inches.

Olympics then made two quick substitutions bringing on Andy Pomayie and Francis Mantey for Joe Tagoe and Kwabena Dodzie in the 61st minute to change the tide but Arsenals continued to dictate the pace of the game.

With the home team on the back foot, their task was made much more difficult in the 70th minute when Ogoe was given the marching off orders for a second bookable offence for dangerous play.

Arsenals then poured forward in droves in search of the equaliser, as they were clearly the better side on the pitch.

The visitors had the equaliser in the 73rd minute when Ronaldo tapped in the ball from a goalmouth melee. Strangely Arsenals who were the better side in terms of possession before the leveller failed to further threaten their opponents.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter