With less than a week for the prestigious Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) awards to be held at the Accra International Conference Center on May 11, 2019, the curtains are drawing slowly on who wins the male footballer of the year award for 2018.
Last season saw many Ghana players performing quite well with their clubs in Europe.
On the local scene there was no much to see as the Ghana local leagues were called of after the former GFA President had issues with Anas and the famous Number 12 video.
So on the local front only one player, Felix Annan of Kumasi Asante Kotoko was considered for the nominations. The final list of nominees for Footballer of the year 2018 is as follows:
2018 FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR – MALE
1. Thomas Partey – Athletico Madrid, Spain
2. John Antwi - Misr Lel-Makkasa SC, Egypt
3. Felix Annang – Asante Kotoko, Ghana
4. Kassim Nuhu - TSG Hoffenheim, Germany
5. Joseph Aidoo – Genk, Belgium
2018 FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR – FEMALE
1. Mukurama Abdulai (Northern Ladies & Black Maidens)
2. Faustina Ampah (Minsk, Belarus & Black Queens)
3. Grace Asantewaa (Ampem Darkowaa Ladies & Black Princesses)
Members of SWAG will vote this week to select one player for the award. As nominees, all the stars mentioned did well in the year under review and any of them can win, however, some did better and that is what the Sports Journalists will decide and announce to Ghanaians on May 11, 2019.
The female category will also see a keen contest and one player who has hit the big stage after her display at the FIFA U17 Girls Tournament is Kukarama Abdulai. Many female sports writers and presenters are interested in the Female Footballer of the year and they will vote massively
We pray that the best players win, as SWAG moves to a higher level