Members of Parliament on Monday registered their reservation on a ruling by an Italian court that part of 36,000 euros, recovered from Mr. Stanley Laryea, ex-employee of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, accused of fraud should be paid to Italy.
Mr. Akwasi Osei Adjei, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Co-operation NEPAD had told the House, while answering questions that an internal enquiry led to the arrest of Mr Laryea following loss of monies, pilfering of blank passports, burning of some dual citizenship application forms and stealing of 3000 euros in the Ghana Embassy in Italy.
The theft was discovered last year March, and when a search was conducted in the house of Mr Laryea, then employee of Ghana Embassy it revealed Italy, police found 248 blank passport booklets, Embassy of Ghana Stamps, 9,000 euros and 1,550 pounds sterling cash.
Other items found in the house were eight new cell phones and 11 Ghanaian passport booklets fraudulently issued.
Mr Laryea was kept in Police custody pending trial and the Embassy remained in close contact with the Italian Embassy over the period of the incarceration of the suspect.
Mr Osei Adjei said the Embassy learnt that a court in Rome had convicted Mr Laryea last December and issued him with 16 months suspended sentence and released him later.
"The Embassy also learned that the court had ruled that part of the 36, 000 euros recovered from Mr Laryea would be confiscated to the host state.
" ... The Embassy requested the Italian Foreign Ministry for assistance to obtain a review of the case, and sought audience for further discussions on the matter," Mr Osei Adjei said.
However, despite repeated reminders, the Italian Foreign Ministry has to date not replied nor granted audience."