body-container-line-1
Thu, 25 Jan 2024 Burkina Faso

Mines in Africa: Burkina launches its first waste processing plant

LISTEN
By Amos Traore || Contributor

For several years now, Burkina Faso has emerged as a significant player in gold production in Africa. The yellow metal has become the country's top export product. The gold sector symbolizes the mining boom in the West african nation. The mining sector contributes to 14% of the national GDP and 80% of exports. In addition to gold, other invaluable minerals are extracted from the Burkinabe subsoil. The government aims to create a value chain that generates opportunities around its extractive industry.

On Tuesday, January 23, Captain Ibrahim Traore, President of Burkina Faso, inaugurated the first waste processing plant for mining residues. According to reliable sources, the plant will be 40% owned by the state, with the remaining 60% going to the company Golden Hand SA. According to the company's CEO, the processing plant will create numerous direct and indirect jobs. This mining residue processing plant is located in the industrial zone of Kossodo, in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. Facing the media, the Burkinabe minister of Mines expressed his satisfaction, stating, "Our country has clearly decided to assert itself and fully assume its sovereignty in all areas, with a particular emphasis on the mining sector. It has, therefore, become an urgent necessity to find endogenous ways and means to recover, as much as possible, the metals contained in mining residues."

The gold production, which represents a significant part of Burkina Faso's extractive industry, will experience a new boost thanks to this waste processing plant. Indeed, residues from gold mining operations can contain significant traces of gold. It is worth noting that for the year 2022, Burkina Faso delivered nearly 57 tons of gold to the international market.

body-container-line