The Commonwealth has extended the deadline for Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC) membership applications. While maximizing your own talents, contacts and prospects, the CYC offers the opportunity to represent the perspectives of the Commonwealth’s 1.4 billion young people on pressing global issues such as climate change, pandemics, peace, entrepreneurship, gender equality, democracy and education.
You will be given a platform to advance young people’s ideas, innovations and cutting-edge solutions at high level, policy-shaping forums around the world, such as the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Rwanda.
Head of Social Policy Division, Layne Robinson, said: “Filling these positions is critical for the empowerment of young people all over the Commonwealth. That is why we are extending our application deadline to April 5th, in light of the Coronavirus pandemic that has brought the world to crisis point and maybe affecting those who would like to apply.”
He added that the difficulties applicants may face in obtaining documents from ministries affected by the global pandemic will be taken into account, and applications will be accepted on the basis that documentation will be provided at a later date.
He said: “Being a youth leader at this pivotal time is a great responsibility that requires hard work and commitment. But we know that there is an abundance of talent and unstoppable determination within our youth population. We look forward to hearing from you!”.
The open positions are:
· Chairperson (Open to Pacific Region only)
· Vice-Chairperson – Inclusion and Engagement (Open to all Commonwealth Citizens)
· Vice-Chairperson – Partnerships and Resources (Open to all Commonwealth Citizens)
· Vice-Chairperson – Policy and Advocacy (Open to all Commonwealth Citizens)
· Regional Representative – Africa and Europe Region
· Regional Representative – Asia Region
· Regional Representative – Caribbean and Americas Region
· Regional Representative – Pacific Region
· Representative – Special Interest Groups (Open to all Commonwealth Citizens)
To be eligible for the Commonwealth Youth council you must:
· have least 3 years of experience working with a national youth council or youth-led organisation
· be a Commonwealth citizen
· be aged 15-27
Nominations must be in by April 5th 2020.
You need to be nominated by a national youth council or youth-led organisation.
Apply now to join the Commonwealth Youth Council
Shortlisted candidates will start campaigning from 17 April 2020.
You must be able to attend the Commonwealth Youth Forum (CYF) in Kigali, Rwanda, 20 to 23 June 2020, where elections will take place.
If you are elected to the Commonwealth Youth Council, you will:
· serve Commonwealth young people from 2020 to 2022
· run, manage and develop the Commonwealth Youth Council
· join and organise workshops, forums and advisory panels
· help make policy recommendations.
Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland said: “The Commonwealth Youth Council draws together talent from all our regions, and provides a forum to focus and amplify the voices of young people.
“Its representatives combine ambition with action, and enable the needs and expectations of youth in our member countries to be heard.
“This helps equip the Commonwealth to tackle pressing social, economic and political issues, and alerts us to emerging global trends so that we can prepare collectively to deliver a common future that is fairer and safer for all.”