ModernGhana logo
13.11.2005 League Report

Bofoakwa Tano beat Faisal

Listen to article

Bofoakwa Tano beat visiting Kumasi King Faisal 2-1 in their last pairings of the GT-sponsored National Premier League match at the Sunyani Coronation Park on Sunday.

Bofoakwa led 1-0 at first half through their Senyoh Reuben in the 26th minute.

After Accra-based referee O.K. Amankwah had signalled for the commencement of the match, it was Bofoakwa who nearly grabbed the opener in the fourth minute but Senyoh's effort was not only ruled off-side but his earlier close-range shot went miles away intended target.

In the 19th minute, Kingsley Agyemang of Bofoakwa also threw away a begging chance after receiving a neat pass and with just 20 yards from the opponents' vital area, the striker shot wide to the disappointment of home fans.

Despite the stiff opposition by the Faisal boys, Bofoakwa managed to hit the net first through Senyoh in the 26th minute. In the 34th minute, Agyemang nearly increased Bofoakwa's lead, but his long-range shot was parried over the bar by Faisal's keeper, Aziz Basiru, amidst cheers from the partisan crowd.

Faisal's captain Shilla Illiasu, sensing danger urged on his colleagues who beat Bofoakwa 2-0 in Kumasi in their first round encounter went into attack in the second half and with Prince Antwi, Osei Kofi, Owusu Agyemang, Eric Gawu and Emmanuel Yahaya combining effectively up-front, they pinned the "Otobilla" boys in their own half for a brief spell.

During one of their incessant raids Faisal's substitute Yaw Sarpong connected a neat pass from Gawu in the 65th minute to level matters for his side.

King Faisal maintained their posture and in the 70th minute, Sarpong was once again at a good position to score with keeper Basiru out of his line but with an empty net Sarpong surprisingly shot wide. Bofoakwa got their second goal in the 75th minute through Opoku Antwi.

Both teams made changes in this half but of significance of the changes was the spontaneous cheers that greeted good old Ben Kusi of Bofoakwa when he replaced Kingsley Agyemang.

It was however King Faisal who made a last-minute onslaught at least for the equalizer but it eluded them till the final whistle with scores remaining 2-1 in favour of Bofoakwa.