The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) has apologised to a private pickup driver, Kingsley Boateng, and refunded money allegedly extorted from him by a City Guard.
The Assembly said the incident did not represent its approved enforcement procedures and assured the public that steps had been taken against the officer involved.
The AMA disclosed this in a social media post on Thursday, August 20, following a press conference addressed by the Mayor of Accra, Michael Kpakpo Allotey, on Wednesday.
According to the Assembly, Mayor Allotey invited Mr Boateng to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident and formally apologised to him on behalf of the institution.
The Mayor said the AMA does not charge privately registered vehicles used for personal purposes for vehicle stickers.
He explained that there was no provision in the Assembly’s by-laws requiring such vehicles to pay the fee allegedly demanded from Mr Boateng.
The AMA said the City Guard involved had been apprehended and detained, with further action being taken in accordance with the law and the Assembly’s internal disciplinary procedures.
The Assembly said the money collected from the driver was not taken on its behalf but was allegedly obtained for personal purposes.
Mayor Allotey cautioned City Guards, Task Force members and other Assembly officers against abusing their authority or demanding unauthorised payments from members of the public.
He said the Assembly would not shield any officer found engaging in misconduct.
The Mayor further advised members of the public to demand official receipts whenever they make payments to AMA officers, stressing that all official transactions must be properly documented.
Mr Boateng, who attended the press conference, accepted the Assembly’s apology and commended the Mayor and management for their swift response to his complaint.



Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
AMA bans Aboboyaa from using inner lanes in Accras
AMA refunds driver’s money, sanctions City Guard over alleged extortion
How boys aged 15 to 19 are denied condoms and described as being ‘too young to b...
Stay away from drugs and protect your future — NACOC boss tells youth
“You can’t claim the gains and deny the losses” – Former Suame MCE to Sammy Gyam...
Akosombo-Volta line fault cause of power disruption in parts of the country — GR...
Nationwide blackout: We're working to restore full power supply — GRIDCo assures
Accountability cannot be answered with insults
Cocoa farmers will reject NDC in 2028 if their concerns are not addressed – Mart...