A group calling itself the Concerned Youth of Achiase in the Eastern Region are kicking against the reappointment of the District Chief Executive, Richmond Kofi Amponsah.
They accused the incumbent DCE of lack of vision, development and gross insubordination in the district.
The group's action follows the appointment of Hon. Richmond Kofi Amponsah by President Nana Akufo Addo after the expiry of his term of office.
There is tension in all 33 districts and Municipalities in the Eastern region following the circulation of a list purported to be names of Municipal and District Chief Executives (MDCEs) nominated by President Akufo-Addo for the Eastern Region.
Some aspiring MDCEs in the region whose names were found in the list were seen jubilating on the streets.
In a press release dated 27th July 2021, the group cited the DCE, among other things of gross disrespect and lack of vision for the district.
One of the strong reasons cited for the rejection of the reappointment of the DCE according to the youth is what they referred to as a lack of development.
According to the youth, since the creation of the District, his actions and inactions impede the progress and development of the District.
They added that the DCE has not been able to complete or assisted in the completion of any project within the district.
‘His actions and inactions impedes the progress and the development of the District. The District Development Fund (DDF) projects that some Districts have completed their projects and handed it over for the public use, Achiase Market stores and Aperade Stores are still not fully completed.’
They claim that the DCE during his tenure has not been impressive in deleivering his mandate as a leader who has been tasked to unite the people, and drive development in the district .
The youth are accusing the DCE of creating disunity among members of the assembly, a situation that is brewing tension in the district and counterproductive to the development of the district.
The situation according to the youth has also created a culture of silence among members of the assembly which suggests that the DCE may be creating an environment that is counter-productive, as members of the Assembly who must have a united front to address pertinent issues facing the District are unable to do so freely.
The youth have also accused the DCE of breaching the local government act, Act 2016 (936), and article that direct the formation of the assembly.
"The impunity and disregard of anything by the DCE has resulted in the serious breach of the Local Government Act 2016 (Act 936). both Article 5 (1) and (2) which talks about the composition of the Assembly, Article 9 (1-2) which highlights the cessation of office of a member of the Assembly and Article 10 (1-5e) which also deals with how to refill a vacant position in the Assembly have all been breached by the District Chief Executive of Achiase District."
As a result of these actions of the DCE, the youth say they will have no option other than to ‘run’ to court to seek redress.
Please find below the full statement by the concerned youth:
PRESS RELEASE 27th July, 2021 DCE APPOINTMENT: CONCERNED YOUTH OF ACHIASE DISTRICT AT AKIM ACHIASE AGAINST RENOMINATION OF CURRENT DISTRICT CHIEF EXECUTIVE
Tuesday, 27th July, 2021, Akim Achiase District (E/R) …..
We the Concerned Youth of Achiase District of Akim Achiase wish to express our grievances and displeasure to H. E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo the President of the Republic of Ghana for the nomination and the decision to re-appoint the incumbent/former District Chief Executive, Hon. Richmond Kofi Amponsah.
2. We wish to bring to your attention and as well as place on record the following reasons why the incumbent, Hon Richmond Kofi Amponsah should not be re-appointed for the DCE position: (i) He is not a developmental oriented person. Since the creation of the District and his appointment as the District Chief Executive of the District, his actions and inactions impedes the progress and the development of the District. The District Development Fund (DDF) projects that some Districts have completed their projects and handed it over for the public use, Achiase Market stores and Aperade Stores are still not fully completed. The youth of the District have questions and tried to ascertain the reasons but all have been ignored by the Hon. DCE. We also want to state that he has not been able to complete or assisted in the completion of any project within the district.
(ii) He has also created a huge disunity among the rank and file of the members within the Assembly; this has created a culture of silence among the members within the Assembly. The members of the Assembly are either harbouring one or two misgivings against his/her colleague since the DCE is not open to them and share items based on factions and favouritism.
We are much aggrieved and will never allow such things to continue. (iii) He has shown gross disrespect and insubordinations to both Assembly members and the Opinion leaders within the District.
• He made appointments to the Assembly without consulting Nananom and Opinion leaders who gave the Assembly members their mandate to represent them at the Assembly therefore disrespecting the Hon. Members of the Assembly is directly disrespectful to the Opinion leaders and the grassroots.
• He organized a secret by-election within the Teshieman Electoral area without the knowledge of the electorates and the Opinion leaders within the Electoral Area.
(iv) Breach of the Local Government Act - the impunity and disregard of anything by the DCE has resulted in the serious breach of the Local Government Act 2016 (Act 936). both Article 5 (1) and (2) which talks about the composition of the Assembly, Article 9 (1-2) which highlights the cessation of office of a member of the Assembly and Article 10 (1-5e) which also deals with how to refill a vacant position in the Assembly have all been breached by the District Chief Executive of Achiase District.
We, the Concerned Youth of this District will have no option but to run to court for redress if he is reappointed as the District Chief Executive of Achiase District. (v) His lack of leadership skills and bad human relations also caused the “skirt and blouse” voting pattern in the Akim Achiase Constituency, during the 2020 elections.
3. We recommend that the other three (3) contenders be given the opportunity to bring their rich experiences to help develop the District Akim Achiase. As proud youth of Achiase District and as such major stakeholders in the governance and administration of the district, we have exercised restraint since the incumbent took office and would no longer be able to be silent about certain happenings within the administrations of the District.
4. Finally, we wish to state categorically clear that we have no issue with the other candidates who are contesting with the incumbent as they are all from the District. We want to also emphasised that the impact and legacy of Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s will be felt on the Akyem land if a new person is appointed as the DCE.
ISSUED BY: CONVERNERS OF THE CONCERNED YOUTH OF ACHIASE DISTRICT
Asare Patrick (Secretary - 0248586696) - Concerned Youth, Achiase District.
Bamfo John (P.R.O. - 0247087900)
Osei Mavis (signed)
Awuah Eric Afum (signed)
Arthur Godfred (signed)
Adams Majid (signed)
Oteng Kelvin (signed)
Twumwaa Esther (signed)
Yaw Boadi (signed)
Paulina Birago (signed